Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

audio overhaul for my ladies car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Default audio overhaul for my ladies car

Hi,

I am an avid ICE fan from e46fanatics.com, I modified my car with a carputer, so I have a decent understanding of car audio (although a lot of it is specific to BMW's very propreitary way of doing things). Well, long story short, my girlfriend has a 2000 Civic LX, and it has a TERRIBLE sound system in it. The previous owner tried to update it with a CD player, and in the process missed connecting the front speakers, and the audio is just plain junk. It is her birthday in 2 weeks, so I was planning to get her audio system redone, with new speakers and a new HU. I dont think she needs a double-din dvd/gps, but she likes her music a lot, so I'm thinking something with an ipod dock, or at least an aux-in. I am looking to spend around $300-$400 all in, but I am thinking I might hire an installer, since I really dont know much about taking Civic's apart. I am a huge ebay junkie, so if people want to throw out some HU models that fit the Civic well, and some speaker packages that fit the doors, it would be a great start for my shopping....

Thanks,
Avidan

Old 03-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Default RE: audio overhaul for my ladies car

I would check out www.crutchfield.com, they have a huge variety of HU and sometimes ohave specials on speakers. The new 2006 line is on its way, so you can probably find brand new 2005 models of speakers and hu for cheap. I would check out alpine, eclipse, pioneer, and believe it or not, panasonic. The new panasonic models have a ipod capabilty (i.e will display tracks and artest on the actual headunit, the adapter is $50.) Also, the new panasonic models have bluetooth tech. You can buy an adapter (they sell it on cructhfield) that will let you link your cell phone (has to have bluetooth) to your stereo. Your music will go quite when you get an incomming call, which means when you call her, and she bumping her music, you'll always get ahold of her. I think the starting price for the first stereo thats capable of all this is $199. It even has a moderized face plate. She'd love it!

Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 PM
HCF Member

Go on ebay. Yea um thats not close to a good budget if uve got someone else doing the work. Man up and lean.......car audio is easy. Dude Ill help ya. Ill take pic and answer questions. PM me if need be.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:28 AM

ok, ill man up and install this one myself. I just stripped the trunk of my M in 20 minutes, so im getting brave. What is the recommendation for a HU and speakers for the civic. Looking to spend 3 bills on ebay, so post with stuff that retails for up to 5....

Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 AM

ok, about to order the Alpine CDE-9852.
any tips on installation?

Old 03-28-2006, 05:53 AM

what price on deck? .. i use pricegrabber myself.. after finding the unit i want on crutchfield.. usually Etronics has best deals and you have some type of warranty.. vs getting a unit that might break and then ur just out that cash..

Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 PM

I think the total was $150 shipped. Do I need a special harness to plug it in to the civic? how do you guys plug in these decks without a dedicated amp? I have seen the wiring behind the HU on a civic.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:39 PM

I'm a big fan of getting the stock Wiring harness for your specific car then wire it and plug it in... I've done it on both my civic and my Accord... About $20-$25 for the harness.... it also makes future Removal and re-install easier...

Old 03-28-2006, 02:19 PM

does it need to be alpine specific? or just the stock harness for the civic?

Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

I'm a big fan of getting the stock Wiring harness for your specific car then wire it and plug it in... I've done it on both my civic and my Accord... About $20-$25 for the harness.... it also makes future Removal and re-install easier...

Thats generally a good idea period. It keeps you from tearing up your factory wiring.

does it need to be alpine specific? or just the stock harness for the civic?
No. All headunits have universal wiring. But you need to get a factory specific wiring harness. It mimics the factory plug. The wires to be wired will match up directly with your new headunits wiring. Its almost idiot proof.

Quick Reply: audio overhaul for my ladies car