Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Best way to add auxiliary input for 2006 Civic LX?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Default Best way to add auxiliary input for 2006 Civic LX?

I'm looking for ways to add an auxiliary input for my ipod to my new 2006 Civic LX (which does not come with a CD changer and currently has a factory-installed stereo that doesn't have an aux input). Does anyone know what is the best and most economical way other than paying an exorbitant price for my dealer to install it?

Greatly appreciate everyone's responses.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:15 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Best way to add auxiliary input for 2006 Civic LX?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I don't know much about the 06's but talk to you dealer, there might be a factory way of doing it. Other than that you're looking at getting a new cd player which you probably don't want to do.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

Well, there isnt an aux input on the player but however you could use an FM modulator

Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 PM

I thought i saw a kit somewhere for the installation of JUST the auxilliary input only. I can't remember where, but keep looking. That college hills honda site seems to offer better information that most dealers... might start there. I use my video ipod through my EX and it works pretty well. Crutchfield sells a mount that swivels and such for $40 so you can position it where you want - remove it easily - and even let the passenger run the controls... worth a look!

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Hi,

When I found out the 2006 Civic LX sedan did not have the aux. audio input jack (but the coupes and the EX-series do), I asked the dealer to install it before I took initial delivery.

When the aux. audio input jack comes stock, it is located just under the 12-volt power outlet on the lower dash. However, when you have it installed as an option on an LX Civic by a dealer, it ends up as a small, black-plastic, "hump" or protrusion that's about 3" wide x 2" deep at its base, and it tapers to be a bit smaller at the top where the actual jack is. Its overall height is a bit less then the depth of that storge bin. In the center of the top of the little plastic housing is a 1/8" stereo mini female audio input jack. (It comes with a plastic, tethered, "plug" to keep dirt and dust out of it when not in use). It's at the right-hand end of the large storage tray in front of the shifter--i.e. the bin you'd likely store a sunglass case in, or use for similar-sized items.

The little aux. input housing sticks up from the right-hand side of the "floor" of that storage bin, making the storage bin a little less useful for a hard-sided sunglass case--but--now I can plug an MP3 player or my Sirius satellite radio directly into the audio system. BTW, the speed-sensitive volume control works on that input as well.

Cost? As I took delivery at the end of Feb. '06 at the dealers urging, I offered to split the cost of the aux. input part/installation (since I was being "flexible" in taking delivery on their terms). So my final cost was 50%, or $60 total. Even at the full cost of $120, it's not a show-stopper in my opinion. Expensive for what it is? Sure. But I have the input jack now, and with no hassle. That works for me.

Bottom Line: The "best way" is to let the dealer do the install, IMHO.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:01 AM

im interested in doin this aswell. i wonder though if you cant take the plug from the aftermarket kit and install it under the 12volt lighter like it is in the ex? what do you guys think? i dont think it would be that difficult.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 PM

I'm sure you could get the little kit and not use the black-plastic housing part of it.
And then drill a small hole for the jack to stick thru under the power outlet. The only problem I anticipate would be how to hold the new jack to the back of the dash panel where the power outlet is: The dealer-added outlet (the jack itself) uses two screws to hold it inside the black-plastic housing...and then 4 screws hold the black-plastic housing to the strogage-bin floor.

Perhaps it would be easier to buy a standard 1/8" mini jack and mount it in the hole you drilled under the power outlet, and then modify the car audio system wires (probably would need to cut off a plug) that are inside the dash (or are those added with the aux. kit?) that go to the aux. input jack.

Or get the kit from your dealer, if it includes a wiring "harness" of sorts, and plug one end into wherever it needs to go inside the dash, and finally modify the other end to wire up to your store-bought jack.

Or, just let the dealer install it, as I did: What's $120 in terms of an $18,000 car?

;-)

Old 03-19-2006, 07:46 PM

It cost like 54$ at the dealership. Nothing to expensive. Just take it down there.