1998 Civic deck install
Things to take into consideration:
In these Civics Honda decided to use the factory radio to handle the keyless entry system and dome light in you car. So, removing your OEM stereo will result in no keyless and no light when you open your door. In order to fix this problem you'll have to run your aftermarket and your OEM in the car. The OEM would go in the empty space behind the tape deck.
Items you need:
A Dash install kit:
A wire harness: Scosche HA07B or Metra 70-1720 (or run wires to the 12v, ground, and acceccory terminals on the old radio)
Speaker wire (or any stranded wire for old radio)
The original factory radio
1. Remove 2 screws under the glove compartment box and take out.
2. Remove screws from panel covering the steering column and take out.
3. Remove 2 screws from panel containing 12v power socket, disconnect plug, and take it out (a little tough)
4. You can now take out the 2 screws located under the OEM radio.
5. Next unscrew all screws holding in the entire armrest and your shifter panel.
6. Take it out.
7. Remove screws holding in cup holders and your tape deck.
8. Put in old radio in space where you removed the tape deck and plug in the security harness.
9. Run wires from radio to stereo harness.
10. Put everything back together (except leave out the tape deck).