Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help replacing tape deck

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Default Help replacing tape deck

Hey guys, I have a '98 civic and it has one of the lower dash tape players right above the cup holder in it. Im getting a new cd player to put in and was wondering if it can go up top where the radio is, or if i will have to take out the tape player and put the cd player there. Either way can I get some help on how to put this cd player in where it will work?

Thanks

Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help replacing tape deck

Post a picture up of your dash please! click on "click here to upload!" and then check the box next to it that embeds in post.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 AM

Here's what i got to work with. Thanks for any help you can give.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15868/406FBF60A4EB4F32B82F2A455462A6E0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

Here's the scoop...

Get a mounting kit for your CD player to mount where the stock radio controls are. Then, go to your Honda dealer and there's a storage pocket you can order that goes in where the tape deck is now.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:23 PM

I've recently done this myself, but I have to go to work now so I'll write a massive step by step at 11pm or so if you want. You have to remove the entire center console (arm rest and shift cover) to gain access to the screws that hold in the tape deck.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 PM

Alright, Thanks SOHC. I would appreciate that alot. Thank you guys for all the help

Old 11-16-2006, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

While we are on the topic is it possible to mount a screen on the top and mount the head unit on the bottom and connect them both?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:01 PM

1998 Civic deck install

Things to take into consideration:
In these Civics Honda decided to use the factory radio to handle the keyless entry system and dome light in you car. So, removing your OEM stereo will result in no keyless and no light when you open your door. In order to fix this problem you'll have to run your aftermarket and your OEM in the car. The OEM would go in the empty space behind the tape deck.

Items you need:

A Dash install kit:
A wire harness: Scosche HA07B or Metra 70-1720 (or run wires to the 12v, ground, and acceccory terminals on the old radio)
Speaker wire (or any stranded wire for old radio)
The original factory radio

Picture-less Instructions
:

1. Remove 2 screws under the glove compartment box and take out.
2. Remove screws from panel covering the steering column and take out.
3. Remove 2 screws from panel containing 12v power socket, disconnect plug, and take it out (a little tough)
4. You can now take out the 2 screws located under the OEM radio.
5. Next unscrew all screws holding in the entire armrest and your shifter panel.
6. Take it out.
7. Remove screws holding in cup holders and your tape deck.
8. Put in old radio in space where you removed the tape deck and plug in the security harness.
9. Run wires from radio to stereo harness.
10. Put everything back together (except leave out the tape deck).

Old 11-16-2006, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

I put my EQ where the tape deck was and CD player up top. Works great for me.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the how to write up! Do you have an after picture as clear as your before picture? I ask because Im not sure what stereo harness (dash kit to actually mount the stereo to, not for wiring) to purchase.

None of the ones I can seem to find in stores around me look like they would fit. Ive taken everything apart, connected all wires, just cant mount the stereo to the dash.

Im used to dealing with dashes where the stereo just screws in from the side into the existing slot [sm=smiley5.gif]

Quick Reply: Help replacing tape deck