Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

I want a new head unit...dont want to break the bank

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member
Default I want a new head unit...dont want to break the bank

alright...well my wal-mart headunit (lol...birthday present) has held up great for the 7 months ive had it but i think its time to move on to somthing that actually plays cds without skipping....It was the one that has the usb and the sd card port if anyone was wondering.....

anyways....

I'm wondering of a good head unit to buy without spending a lot of money....I've got amps going to all my speakers as well as subs, and i really want it to play MP3 cds as well as AUX in (aux in...not ipod in lol)

any ideas?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I want a new head unit...dont want to break the bank

id go with one of these,pretty good for the price

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6615...CQ-C3403U.html

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6586...+CDE-9842.html

Old 08-21-2007, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

+ 1 for any decently priced Alpine. Although as a personal choice I would foot the bill for one with the BBE enhancement. I have jacked around with this newer high dollar alpine forver and still can't match the sound my older cheaper one with BBE offered.

It's worth the extra penny imo.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

i was actually looking at that pioneer....

well alright...ill consider saving up for a better one...my head unit sounds like crap usually..but again...what does really good sound like...thanks for the imput

Old 08-22-2007, 05:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you play standard CD's a lot, don't assume that spending $200+ is going to get you a player that doesn't skip. A lot of them are really terrible. Unless you can find where someone has reviewed written up this important point, I suggest you don't buy anything without a test-play of one of your damaged CDs.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

If you play standard CD's a lot, don't assume that spending $200+ is going to get you a player that doesn't skip. A lot of them are really terrible. Unless you can find where someone has reviewed written up this important point, I suggest you don't buy anything without a test-play of one of your damaged CDs.
lol...yeah i know that a 200 hundred dollar player will skip scratched cds.......im talking about a player that doesnt skip brand new cds....

The one i have from wal-mart will just skip regardless....i usually burn a cd put it in and then about a week later it will be skipping in random spots....

Its a really ghetto player....

But i dont expect them to play my messed up cds...i just want it to be able to play cds in general

Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 AM
HCF Member

I have this one for sale. But it dont play MP3's. It has all kinds of RCA's. I have a sub amp and 4 channel amp hooked up to it.
You could always hook a mp3 player up to it.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLADXZ925

Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 AM
HCF Member

uh...that thing looks pretty cool...how much?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 AM
HCF Member

$190 obo

Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There used to be some that play damaged CD's really well. Also the ability to play a damaged CD means it will probably handle bumps in the road better.

I haven't found one lately. When they went to MP3 capability they apparently changed to CD-ROM chipsets instead of the highly developed audio CD chipsets. In a CD-ROM the ability to play audio CD's is an afterthought.

Any CD's you use in the car are going to get damaged. Just a matter of how long you can go before having to burn new ones.

Quick Reply: I want a new head unit...dont want to break the bank