Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

I'm wanting to add an AUX input to stock system

Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Default I'm wanting to add an AUX input to stock system

I have a 2000 Honda Civic with the stock CD stereo. It's a decent unit, but REALLY needs an AUX input. I considered switching to a new head unit, but would really like to stay stock, if possible. I found a device (link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469HO98...tab=review#tab ) that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the stock stereo. My question is, would my CD head unit have a port on back for a CD changer? I'm hoping someone can tell me so I don't have to remove the head unit to find out. Thanks!

Last edited by rickai; 12-14-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

just go aftermarket, their not that expensive and got alot better features.. keep stock for when you sell the car

Old 12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by supersize
just go aftermarket, their not that expensive and got alot better features.. keep stock for when you sell the car
Dude.. i second this, new decks are cheap... i work at Future Shop and sell the dam things, its worth it to get aftermarket all the way man...

Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

It should work. but unfortunately on honda in that year range, the only way to tell is to take out the factory radio and look to see if the port is there. So there is really no way for any of us to tell you 100% if it will work until you take out your radio.

and if you have the money, I also recommend a new radio. aftermarket radios have a lot more features, and also will push more power to the speakers. Its an all around win.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM

I know this is a dead link, but for future reference here is my experience with this issue.

I have a 1997 Civic DX with stock radio, no cassette player. I’ve tried a few methods for adding an auxiliary input (aux-in) for using a portable mp3 player or ipod, and have rated them on a ten-scale for effectiveness. The specific items I’ve tried are all available online; I’d suggest googling them for pics.

First I tried using a FM transmitter, specifically the Scosche FMT4R, which uses AAA batteries. This method doesn’t work very well. There is too much static, signal fades in and out as you drive, sound quality is poor even when signal is near perfect, and volume isn’t high enough at high speeds. Cost is 20$, effectiveness grade is 3 out of 10.

Next I tried hooking a simple direct line auxiliary jack to the back of the stereo, specifically the Alpine KCM-123B. There is an 8-pin M-BUS input on the back of stereo head unit which is there for an optional cassette deck. But this method does not work at all, because the head unit does not normally recognize that anything is plugged into the M-BUS unless it is grounded. When you press the CD/TAPE button on the head unit, nothing happens, because the head unit assumes that nothing is there. Cost is 10$, effectiveness grade is 0 out of 10.

Not ready to give up on that M-BUS input, I purchased a more sophisticated cable with integrated electronics, which compensates for the lack of a ground, specifically the PIE Hon-Aux. This also requires an RCA to stereo 3.5 mm adapter cable, which some ebay sellers include for free. This method works the best, sound quality is excellent. One minor problem is that when CD/TAPE button is pressed, and mp3 player is not actually on, there is some light feedback noise, but again this is minor. Cost is 45$, effectiveness grade is 9 out of 10.

Note that if you happen to have the optional cassette deck installed in your car, you can just unplug it at the head unit to use that jack for your aux-in - who needs a cassette player these days, anyway? You may also be able to plug the aux-in into the back of the cassette deck (there may be another 8-pin input), but you’re on your own, there.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 AM
HCF Member

After market for sure. You can get them cheap or even get one from someone upgrading their system for cheap. Unfortunatley decks don't hold their value all that well.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Hello,
Could you please let me know if you tried to remove the head unit to find out if it had an AUX input? I have a 2000 Civic as well and am wondering whether I'd have to remove the unit to find out if it has an AUX input?
I'd appreciate any inputs based on your experience in this .

Thanks.