Autocross and Road Course Racing For sanctioned SCCA Solo events, HPDE, track days, and more

anyone on here do scca(autocross) racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Default anyone on here do scca(autocross) racing?

i am going to be doing scca or autocross racing, i am going to B doing it, and i was wondering how many people on here do it, and what mods and stuff would B ideal, on a 88 CRX, this will B my forst time doing this, i usually do 1/4 mile street races, where it is safe, away from traffic, and i figured my crx would B good, since the top 3 scca racers here use CRX's, and i would also like to know if anyone who does do this stuff, uses there E-brake, or just powers through the turns?

jake!

Old 03-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Default RE: anyone on here do scca(autocross) racing?

i do it when its in my town. and the mods you have will put you in a class... i only had wheels when i did it, and i was in a modified class, so be carefull what you do, google it and you will find the rules and classes. i would not suggest useing the parking brake for any part of it. just remember that its 80% driver, so dont go all crazy with mods before you drive good. smooth is fast. make sure that your battery is bolted down, you have tread on your tires and you have all your lug nuts.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

Word. The more mods that you have the tougher class you will be in. The thing to do is mod as much as you can to stay in one class. You will probably want to run in STS. That's where most N/A tuners run with street tires. You can pretty much have anything done except swaps and FI. I dont' think you can have a cam either, but dont' quote me on that. Point is, as soon as you put an aftermarket intake on, you can't run stock class anymore.

Like Neon said, it's mostly driver skill, but more like 90% skill.

Smooth is fast. Look ahead, way ahead. Attack the apex. If you aren't hitting cones, you aren't aggressive enough.

Try to stay off the brake as much as you can, and don't use the e-brake. Whenever you lift the throttle and/or get on the brakes your car will get out of shape and you will lose speed and/or control. It easy to say, but tough to do.

Good luck and dont' let this happen to you....Sniper Sucks.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:10 PM

another tip is... if your foot isnt smashing the gas then it should be stomping the brake. never coast cause that will loose some time.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

Me and a friend of mine want to go AutoX, but in Chicago its at Route66 Raceway, which is like 4 hrs from my house so i dunno if we can go. It sounds like loads of fun though.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

Word. The more mods that you have the tougher class you will be in. The thing to do is mod as much as you can to stay in one class. You will probably want to run in STS. That's where most N/A tuners run with street tires. You can pretty much have anything done except swaps and FI. I dont' think you can have a cam either, but dont' quote me on that. Point is, as soon as you put an aftermarket intake on, you can't run stock class anymore.

Like Neon said, it's mostly driver skill, but more like 90% skill.

Smooth is fast. Look ahead, way ahead. Attack the apex. If you aren't hitting cones, you aren't aggressive enough.

Try to stay off the brake as much as you can, and don't use the e-brake. Whenever you lift the throttle and/or get on the brakes your car will get out of shape and you will lose speed and/or control. It easy to say, but tough to do.

Good luck and dont' let this happen to you....Sniper Sucks.
Vids broken sniper. Just get audio no video. Sounds interesting though! Try to fix it, imo.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Kedawei

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

Vids broken sniper. Just get audio no video. Sounds interesting though! Try to fix it, imo.
Works for me, homes.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

works for me too.

i didnt know you could hear a JRSC whine like that.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:49 PM

looks like fun, i dont i could even keep traction enen being stock, i have spun goin around a few corners with that kinda pavement, espesially wehn i pulled my e-brake at like 35...lol, i hope i can be in a newb class...i havent ever done it B4!!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:12 PM

I've run a few races with my buddy... We run the STS class which allows, street tires, pulleys, intake and suspension... I don't recall if they allow exhaust mods but what they do allow is pretty limited which keeps it a lower cost class... until you get into corner weighting etc... It also requires a stock interior (including the stereo for the most part....) and the CRX is a good choice for it...

for your first race just focus on being smooth and a general rule of thumb is every 6 inches you get away from a cone at the optimal point translates into about .01 sec I think... Try and look through the corner and just get a feel for the race then start learning to look ahead, heel toe shift, left foot brake etc screw the e-brake, if you want to slide and think it will help do it later on by using a "swedish flick"... to start with just run your first run, play it hard but just get through it... Also walking the course a few times before you start the race is a good idea, map out the course in your head and how you want to come into/out of corners...

Video's if you're interested... this was my first race (Nate Run 1-4 are mine)

http://homepage.mac.com/five1t/videos.html