Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Preserving new car details

Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Default Preserving new car details

With a new 2013 EX-L, I find myself very confused about which "products" to use or not. Specifically I'd like to know the do's and don'ts for as many of these as possible:
  • Glass with tint
  • Upper dash "coarse" plastic
  • Mid-dash/stack smooth plastic
  • Door plastic (Yeah, at least three types of plastic in there)
  • Carpets
  • Leather seats
And that's just the interior! I want to preserve the shine without adding an oily feel, protect against increasing dullness, avoid dust attraction, and make later cleaning easier. If we have a spill or mud, or someone scratches the door by pushing it open with their foot, I'd prefer to know ahead of time how to deal with it rather than doing something afterward and have people go "oh no, you should never do that"...

I feel like a doofus but I dunno whether to use or not use Armor All, some Meguire's offering, or basic soap n water. It's tougher to get good info on cleaning products than it is on cars.

And the dealer says we can just bring the car in for free washes. Great, I plan to do that. But will they ruin the car over time? Or are they the experts who know better than anyone else?

Thanks for patience and advice!!!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

never use armor all on plastics since it contains silicone it will break down the plastic. stick with Meguire's thats all i use there plastic stuff is non oily and has a pleasant smell. as for the glass cleaner i use two one for inside and one outside because i have tints i use an ammonia free cleaner so my tints won't get damaged and just cheap whatever cleaner for the outside.