Detailing/Paint DIYs Anything from cleaning your interior to full paint correction.

Washing Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Default Washing Your Car

Washing your car is a very important car care ritual. I wash my car as often as I can. Not only is it nice to drive around in a clean car but it also extends the life of the paint.

Step 1: The first thing you want to do is make SURE your windows are rolled up. You don't know how many times I have washed my car with my windows cracked open.

Step 2: I start off by giving the car a good rinse making sure to get all of the loose debris/salt (if winter) off of the car. This is a very important step. It ensures that you wont ground any course dirt in to the paint when you soap it up. Spray everywhere from top to bottom including wheels and wheel wells. If using a high pressure hose be careful not to go to close to the paint. It may damage it.

Step 3: Once the car is thoroughly rinsed its time to break out the washing mit. It pays to purchase a quality lamb skin mit. There soft and work very well. Add a couple of cap fulls of your favorite car soap to your mit and work it in. Start by lathering from the top down doing the rims LAST. This prevents any course dirt/brake dust from your rims scratching up your paint job. You can also use a course brush on the wheel if they are really dirty. There are special cleaners for the tires however I find regular car soap adequate.

Step 4: After you feel the car is thoroughly scrubbed you can begin rinsing the car. Start from the top and work you way down. Re scrub anywhere you find that you missed and rinse it.

Step 5: I use a California water blade to do the bulk of the drying. They are a miracle and work great. I use this to basically squeegee the water off of the car, wiping the blade with my hand after each stroke. I will post a link to this at the end of the page. To soak up any water that the blade didn't get I use Microfiber towels. I prefer them over shammy's. I find they do a better job at soaking up water and are easier to use in hard to dry spots. Its really a personal choice but there definitely something to try for your self.

Step 6: For finishing touches I usually go over the windows with some stoners Invisible glass to give them the SUPER clean look. I also spray the tires (rubber) with a protectant to help prolong there life. If the black trim on the car is still not clean or as black as it should be I use black magic detailer to bring out the shine.

In my opinion washing your car is just as important as changing your oil and shouldn't be neglected! Your car will thank you with a rust free long life

California Water Blade: http://www.autobarn.net/ac20002.html
Black Magic Detailer: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?9801
Mothers Car Soap and Mit
Stoners Invisible glass: http://www.autogeek.net/stoninglas.html

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 01-30-2010 at 01:38 PM.