ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Crankshaft Position Sensor trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor trouble

I'm having a nightmare with my '01 civic LX. I had the timing belt/water pump replaced a few weeks ago. They did the job once and when finished the engine threw code P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor A malfunction). They did basically the entire job again and replaced the sensor...the check engine light went away.

Forward 2 weeks and I'm 8 hours away from home in South Carolina. Normal driving at 55 mph in 5th gear and suddenly the car lurches and the check engine light comes on. I coasted to a stop and called Honda who told me it was probably just a bad tank of gas and don't worry about it. Sure enough the next day the check engine light went off. BUT, the following day the car started to lurch frequently and the check engine light came on again. The lurching happens more frequently when I step on the gas hard. The car also doesn't start very easily. So, I drop it off at a local mechanic down here in South Carolina and sure enough there's code P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor A malfunction) again. He's telling me there is no problem with the way the previous mechanic performed the timing belt job...all the alignment marks look ok. His only solution is to replace the sensor again and see what happens.

Here's where my common sense gives me a little nudge. The sensor was absolutely fine for almost 100K miles. Suddenly it goes bad when they do the timing belt. Then, a replacement goes bad too. I feel like it's got to be something that is causing the sensor to go bad. Otherwise it's just too much of a coincidence.

So, my question is: What other things can the mechanic down here test while he's got the car apart waiting for the new sensor?

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Default RE: Crankshaft Position Sensor trouble

I had the same exact thing happen to me. What you shared sound "exactly" how it happend to me. It all happend about two month after I got my timing belt changed.