ED-EF Swaps 1991 and older Civics, CRXs

C32A Swap

Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Yeah, C swap is def not worth it. You might look into a J swap though. It's V6, has been done before, etc. Put a 6 speed Accord transmission with a J35 from an Odyssey or a Ridgeline and you've got a beast.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
Yeah, C swap is def not worth it. You might look into a J swap though. It's V6, has been done before, etc. Put a 6 speed Accord transmission with a J35 from an Odyssey or a Ridgeline and you've got a beast.
I cannot believe people do those swaps now. There's a place in Calgary that has a J35 EF Hatchback that I was oogling all over.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Wow thanks for the great ideas. I'm kinda of leaning towards the f swap only because I have never seen or heard of a wagon with a fseries. I'm going to do some more reasearch on it to see which will give me the most power withought sacrificing too much gas mileage. And I was hoping someone could tell me if a 88 civic hatch body kit would fit my wagon. I was looking for a clean and simple body kit and I found one that I liked but it was only made for the hatch.

* Looked into the H swap mounts and things needed to complete the swap (http://hasport.com/store/index.php/efh1.html), and I am stuck on the OBD adapter. What kind of adapter will I need, or will I not need to buy an adapter? Also will I actually need the things Hasport offers or is it optional?

* Looking into a H22 out of a Prelude Type-S (5th Gen). Will I have any issues with swapping a JDM engine into a USDM Wagon?

Last edited by Higgy9795; 06-12-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 AM

Just say no to body kits. They are played out, cheap looking, and break easily. They do not flow with the natural body lines of the car. The hatch front would probably be the same, the rear would not be.

I wouldn't mess with an OBD adaptor. Instead, I would suggest to pick up a complete harness, which would work perfectly on a chipped P28. The P28 would not support the butterflys, and the harness would have no wiring for them. Easy peasy. You could get a P13 (stock H22 ECU), but if you don't have everything wired in (EGR, butterflys, o2 sensors etc etc), you will throw a CEL. I keep forgetting how much freedom the S300 gives me.

I would get Hasport mounts to be honest. Their install guide I got with my mount kit labeled everything I needed short of exhaust work and wiring work. They specified which throttle cable I needed among other random things I overlooked and any modification I needed to do with the chassis (cutting).

If anything call up Hasport and see if they can send you an install guide. Maybe that will help you start to get an understanding of the swap. Just explain to them that you heard good things about them and you want to go with their mounting kit, but you would like to see the install guide first.

What are your emissions testing like? In PA, I have a semi-hard time getting that emissions sticker each year, while other states do not care what motor is in there, or how much crap it puts out into the air.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Anyone else want pics of the wagon...?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
Anyone else want pics of the wagon...?
I really wish I had pics to post but I'm in the middle of moving back to Ohio and had to ship the car last week. It's going to be staying with my grandparents for a month or two but when I finally get back I will be sure to get some pictures up.

As for the complete harness vs obd adaptor, I think I will go with the harness and p28 since that sounds much easier. You do have a point with the body kit also.

Last edited by Higgy9795; 06-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Higgy9795
As for the complete harness vs obd adaptor, I think I will go with the harness and p28 since that sounds much easier. You do have a point with the body kit also.
NICE!!!!!

One last thing... if you run a P28, you will need to have it chipped and tuned. That's when it starts to get expensive.

These things are not cheap.

100% complete H22a motor/trans - $1300-$3000 (depending on where you get it)
Proper half shaft and axles ~ $250 at least
Harness - $700
P28 chipped with Hondata S300* - $500
Mount kit - $500
Tuning - $350ish
Exhaust work ~ $150ish
"Little things" (add up quick!) - $200-300

* There are cheaper options, but I know nothing about them. Make sure you research your *** off before buying anything to make sure this is what you want to do. I spent about $4k at least on my swap. Love it, but wish I had that $4k back just because I would be that much closer to buying a house now. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
NICE!!!!!

One last thing... if you run a P28, you will need to have it chipped and tuned. That's when it starts to get expensive.

These things are not cheap.

100% complete H22a motor/trans - $1300-$3000 (depending on where you get it)
Proper half shaft and axles ~ $250 at least
Harness - $700
P28 chipped with Hondata S300* - $500
Mount kit - $500
Tuning - $350ish
Exhaust work ~ $150ish
"Little things" (add up quick!) - $200-300

* There are cheaper options, but I know nothing about them. Make sure you research your *** off before buying anything to make sure this is what you want to do. I spent about $4k at least on my swap. Love it, but wish I had that $4k back just because I would be that much closer to buying a house now. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
Didn't expect it to be cheap. I planned on going with Hondata since I have never really heard anything bad about them. I also found a P28 chipped Hondata S300 for $699 and A H22a Engine/5speed for $2295. The engine is in good condition and under 100k miles but it's JDM (not sure if this will be a problem), and the ecu is boost equipped(Sorry needs the solenoid for boost control) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/P28-P72-P73-...#ht_2959wt_943) The seller seems legit but I will definitely be looking elsewhere for a better deal. Not a big fan of ebay.
*Another question, since the wagon is lhd can I swap a JDM engine? Or would that include a rhd conversion?
Sorry for so many questions but after looking this stuff up i was getting different results from everywhere I looked.

Last edited by Higgy9795; 06-13-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Okay so looked some more on ebay (After finding nothing cheaper anywhere else) and found another P28 with Hondata S300 for $449 without the boost control stuff. Would it be a better idea to go with the cheaper option since I am not even sure if I will be installing turbo?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:52 PM

The boost controls are more for the lean protection, boost cut, and boost by gear features. Not 100% necessary, but nice to have. If you ever end up going turbo, make sure you take the car to a respected tuner for it to be done correctly. $450 is about the going rate for a used one.

You do not need to do a rhd conversion for a JDM motor. I have a JDM H22a in my 99 coupe right now.

Feel free to ask as many questions if you like! Just try and search for the answer first

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C32A Swap