EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

97 Civic Engine Install...Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Default 97 Civic Engine Install...Help

So I found out how to post. here goes.

I have a D16Y7 engine that is only a 3 cylinder, . I found a JDM D15B engine/tranny for cheap, same year. From what I have read the D15B should drop right in and hook up. From the intake down to the axles. I am not looking for any HP gains or tuning, just a cheap fix to get it back on the road. I have worked on cars, mostly front ends of 4x4 and this Civic, but have never done an engine swap. I have great support from a friend that is and engine guy. What I would like feedback on is any know troubles that the D15B may throw my way. Also I have found that a whole slough of sensors need to be replaced due to the motor being JDM and the fact that Jp sensors will not work with our ECUs(emissions right?). Any help with this would be much appreciated.

So Questions:

-Is there a list of the sensors that will need to be replaced?
-Should this list come with the engine?
- Will the distributor need to be replaced?
- What is the best known header for the D15B? (I wasn't going to drop it in with out doing a little something to it )
- I am also looking to do the exhaust. Would an increase to a 2 1/8" pipe be recommended? If not then what size is?
- I read that the down pipe will need to be changed?
-Any other input is welcomed.

I have already started to pull connectors, wires & tubing and taking pics. Hopefully this project can benefit someone else in the future.

Thx in advance.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 AM

LABEL ALL THE WIRES BEFORE YOU PULL THE PLUGS ON EVERYTHING!

That was the mistake I did. What started to be something easy, turned into a nightmare once I got my new motor in and didn't know where anything went.

I do not think that Y7 distributor will be compatible on the new motor. The new distributor for the D15b will probably not match up to the current harness. If the D15b is OBD1 and you live in a state which is strict on emission, you may have problems. You would want to use the D15b ecu.

Header is pointless IMO. You will gain about 5 hp tops no matter what you spend. 2-2/18 piping for the exahsut should be fine. Stock is 1 7/8 I think.

Why not just get find a spare y7 motor?, or maybe a y8 motor is you want vtec?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that the D15B being a 96-00 would be the same OBDII system. As for the y7, I just have not really run across any engines on the websites. I would love to drop in what I am removing. I have yet to order the 15 so I'll do a little more searching before I do.

As for the y8 VETEC. how simple/cheap is it to install the VETEC? Of course I would like to have the extra HP, who wouldn't right. I just do not want to spend a lot of extra cash on this just yet. in your opinion what would it take to swap in a VTEC? Is there any good links or sites out there that explains the swap from a D16y7 to a y8 VETEC? I have read on a few sites about the swap and it sounds painful. Thx again.