Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

best possible n/a d16y8 build...EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
HCF Member
Default best possible n/a d16y8 build...EVER!

So i've come to the conclusion that to do what i want to do to my car with the time and money i have to work with will just not do. I blew my motor in my 2000 ex coupe (the pistons are seized) and need a daily driver how ever i want a sohc n/a beast. (d16y8) so what i'd like to do is just do a replacement motor to drive to and from work and build up a set of heads for the car while i put some miles on the replacement. i've done a lot of reading on here and have come to a conclusion but i want to make sure its not too far off and that my conclusion is the right one so here are my questions and my official parts list for the go-fast heads:
Are the z6 heads a better option for a natural breather on a d16y8 block, after theyve been port n polished? wont the y8 heads be better for a higher compression ratio and fuel atomization?
i will keep the y8 intake manifold but will a b16 throttle body link up to it?
i hear a lot of talk about a chipped p28 ecu, are the benefits that great? and which top end does it work with?
Is there really a difference between a 3 and 5 angle valve job?
best cam solution? ive heard its the crower stage 3, is that still a driveable cam and will i have to use shorter valves when its installed?

ill stick to the top end right now but my plans are to put new pistons with a higher compression ratio in when i put the new heads on. how much of a gain will i see from raising the compression ratio to around 10.5-11.5:1
will a lightweight crank and forged rods increase the horsepower much?
The reason for all these questions is because my trip to the pull-a-parts is approaching fast to find my replacement motor and i'd like to keep my eyes open for other parts if theyre available before the vultures swoop in and steal all of the goods!
thanks for any and all answers and replies, i know i've got a lot of questions but i like to ask questions twice, and buy the parts once!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Alot of questions, little organization. Sorry if I miss a few questions. Have you searched google for any of these yet by chance? I am sure this stuff has been covered numerous times.

First off, I will say that you will not be happy with the gains of staying N/A with the D series.

Z6 IMO is a better flowing head. However, differences are minimal between the Z6 and Y8 IMO.

B16 TB should bolts to the D series IM. be sure to port match the IM.

Chipped P28 = tuning. You need tuning if you want power. Chipped P28 is about $120, and the program that you load onto the chip can be any price from $0 to $600. What head you're running really doesn't matter. Then you need to pay for someone to tune it (~$300-$400). If you tune yourself, you'll need a laptop, a program which you can control through the laptop (I prefer Hondata S300 - $500ish), and an air/fuel ratio gauge and wideband ($200). Yes... it gets expensive fast.

No clue about the 3/5 angle jobs. I would google it.

I would go with a stage 2 camshaft, with upgraded valve springs and retainers. Stage 3 may be a little too aggressive for DD IMO. I have Bisimoto 2.3 N/A cam sitting in my garage brand new that I never got around to installing. Let me know if you are interested. I used to have a Crower stage 2 N/a cam and I wasn't thoroughly impressed, but that could have been since I had no tuning at the time.

You have one head. Not heads.

No idea on the gains from bumping up compression. I would google it. Again, tuning is key for power gains.

Pass on the lightweight crank/pulley. You can have the stock crank knife edged if you really want. Forged rods are a supporting mod. Something you do to keep reliability, but not gain power as the OEM rods will not be able to handle it.

Good luck finding a motor. It took me 2-3 months to find a D16z6 motor. I am doing about the same thing as you. Bumping up to 11.0 compression, but I am S/C'ed, so I should be able to see some nice numbers.

As always, make sure to replace all of the wear items (oil pump, water pump, T belt, clutch etc etc etc) since they are easier to do outside of the vehicle.

I must ask... how much do you plan on spending on this, and how much power do you expect to see?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 04-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 AM
HCF Member

well firstly, i need a d16y8 motor so im hoping it wont take quite so long and i realize a b16 would be optimal but much more costly. and if the z6 and the y8 top ends arent that much different id be better off keeping the head from my blown motor and building that up.
cost wise, im not sure whatever it takes lol. im not really looking for more than 200-250hp, that would be plenty.
on the un-overhauled motor im expecting to spend about 1200 initially. find the motor for about 250-300 then a new water pump, timing belt, and a clutch and flywheel while the motors out. (any suggestions on a clutch and flywheel?) i also need new rear tires badly too so im gunna drop another 180 on those puppies.
That cam may come in handy! i'll pm you once i start pulling it apart and get started on the head work. Would I need shorter valves to run a cam of that nature?
but so far what i'm understanding is that the bottom end of this motor will be find as is, replace the wear and tear parts when i replace the motor initially, you think a stage 3 would be too aggressive for daily street driving, the b16 throttle body should link up, and that tuning this thing is gunna be an expensive pain in my derriere but will make all the difference once the overhauled head is installed?
my question for you is how do you expect to s/c urs while bumping up the compression to 11??? wont you have to keep youre boost low to keep from pre-deto? if not a s/c might not be a bad idea for my build. what kind of s/c will you be running?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

wow... i did some looking around and saw someone who had done pretty much everything i wanted to do, and hes only making about 170 on race gas!!! so i guess the n/a part of this thread should be chucked because i'm not about to pay $2000 to make only 50 more hp. forget that! so i guess i wanna mild turbo or supercharger!
problem is i'm most likely going to have to do most of the expensive stuff that i was going to do already, then add a charger on top of it to make this power! what the funk?!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Newbie2000ex
wow... i did some looking around and saw someone who had done pretty much everything i wanted to do, and hes only making about 170 on race gas!!! so i guess the n/a part of this thread should be chucked because i'm not about to pay $2000 to make only 50 more hp. forget that! so i guess i wanna mild turbo or supercharger!
problem is i'm most likely going to have to do most of the expensive stuff that i was going to do already, then add a charger on top of it to make this power! what the funk?!
I am glad you were able to take the time and look into it before jumping in. Many people do not do this, although we tell them to. The costs are pretty high for such a small gain when you could just slap a turbo set-up on there and make much more power immediately.

Let us know if you have any additional questions. If need be, make a thread in the appropriate section.

If you are still interested in the cam... let me know