We're adding and testing new features:  Create your Garage, used it? Give us some feedback here.
Honda Civic Forum Home - Honda Civic Classifieds - Civic Photo Galleries - Create an Account

Go Back   HondaCivicForum.com > Civic Style > Engine & Internal
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the HondaCivicForum.com.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 AM

Default Blown head gasket.

My friend has a 95 Civic w/ a d16-y7 he just recently blew his head gasket, we are about to take his car to the shop. And he is to cheap to pay to tow it over ther it is about 30 mile or so. So he asked me if it would be a goo idea to drive it there. And I dont know because i dont have any experience in blown headgaskets *knock on wood*. But if anyone knows if it is a good or bad idea please let me know before we do it. Thank You

98 Honda Civic EX
Old 04-21-2005, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Blown head gasket.

id say dont drive it...i blew my head gasket once, and drove it to the shop (slow) but the block ended up being wrapped...had to replace the motor.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

if he's too cheap to get it towed he shure as hell cant afford to get it fixed he's lookin at about $ 500 ---thats if the head isnt cracked --but if u do drive it --then it will be cracked by the time u get it to the shop[:@]
Old 04-21-2005, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

Send a message via AIM to Nail I3unny

do he have 200 bucks lyin around? cuz u get a spoon head gasket and increce ur compression and he go down the highway like WEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 04-21-2005, 09:28 PM

If he continues to drive it with the blown head gasket, coolant can get into the engine. If anyone knows this, coolant attacts bearings. A buddy of mine had some coolant get into his oil and he ended up having to get his engine rebuilt because the coolant did a number on the crankshaft bearings. When they had to pull it apart to check, he figured he might as well get everything changed.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:57 PM
HCF Member

Send a message via AIM to sacicons

well, i dont recommend it, but i drove around for about a month and a half with a blown head gasket. i had to add about a half gallon of water every day before i drove it, but it got me to and from work (about a mile either way) and i ended up just needing to deck the head and throw in a new gasket. of course that was before i figured out that i could just do most anything myself, and i payed almost a grand to get it done[:@] but if you drive it, just fill up the water before you leave, then as soon as it gets to about halfway, pull over and shut it off. dont push it any higher than half. and plan on a new radiator, the old ones probably going to leak. and as for the high compression head gasket, not a bad idea as a mod, but if youve overheated at all, then a thin gasket will almost never seal, you need almost perfect surfaces on both the head and block for it to seal.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Forty04

I choose the rear ending
Old 04-22-2005, 12:35 AM
HCF Member

how do you blow a head gasket??
Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 AM
HCF Member

Send a message via AIM to sacicons

usually too much boost, or overheating it for whatever reason.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Forty04

I choose the rear ending
Old 04-22-2005, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

ya pumpin coolant thru your cylinders is a good to gettin rid of some carbon build up[:'(] &keepin idiots from tailgating [:@]
Old 04-22-2005, 11:45 PM

i had my head gasket blown to. My car became over heated. I had it fix for $400
Old 04-22-2005, 11:45 PM

Tags
2005, 98, blown, check, civic, coolant, cracked, dx, engine, find, gasket, head, honda, leak, lx