Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Camshaft for D16Y8

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Question Camshaft for D16Y8

I've now read numerous threads on numerous forums about people putting stage two and stage three camshafts if their D series sohc vtec engines. Where can i find one I've been on the web all day trying to find a camshaft upgrade with no results. Not trying to go crazy just a mild swap from what I've heard about stage two thats probably the route I'm looking to take. Anyways cant find a cam anywhere I've looked i can only find cams for dohc B blocks. Does anyone know where i can find this apparently illusive camshaft........

On another note wheres a good place to get a supercharger for the D blocks.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Sounds like you are building up to what I had. A supercharged Cammed D16y8. The most power I made was something like 165 whp/145wtq so keep that in mind when you start seeing prices for everything.

Cams can be found on eBay, or on individual manufacturer's websites. I had a Crower cam, and a Bisimoto cam. Paid $250 for the crower cam used, and $365 for the Bisimoto cam. Both were "stage 2". I put those is quotes because stage 2 is dependant upon the manufacturer. It is the manufacturer's "stage 2" if that makes any sense.

If you go with anything "stage 2" or higher, expect to price out valve springs and retainers (~$300). I went with supertech and never had a problem.

If you plan on adding a camshaft, expect to pay for tuning software and a tune in order to actually get gains from it. Without tuning, my D16y8 barely ran correctly and had a bunch of CELs. Tuning often requires converting to OBD1. This will be a big problem when emissions comes around if you live in an area that does emissions testing. Tuning software and prices vary soooooooooooo much, but I recommend Hondata (~$500) and then tuning (depends on the tuner, maybe $250-$300?).

Lastly, supercharges for D series are no longer produced. Anything you find will be used, most likely on forums. I got mine for a steal at $650, and then sold it locally after being used for 2 years in my possession for $950 cash. I could go on for days about all the problems I ran into and all the extra things I had to buy. I poured so much damn money into this friggin car.

Check our my 99 Civic project thread. I go into meth injection to keep the IATs down along with talking about all of the modifications needed to install a JRSC into a EK. Good luck

Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Question power question

I'm not a real big fan of used parts i.e used power adders so i guess my question is what if any mods would one want to do before attempting to but a turbo instead of supercharger i know the cost is higher but I'd much perfer turbo power just curious how deep one should go or will the stock configuration handle a few pounds of boost without me worrying about blowing her up

Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM

Research

Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Smile

cvcrcr99 shared some good insight. Camshaft manufactures profile specifications are very different from one an other.

Here at Bisimoto, we have been focusing on the D-series engines since the mid 90's and have several choices that can be viewed on Bisimoto.com. However unlike other's, Bisimoto also offers custom profiles that can be designed specific to our clients performance modifications, power adders and type of racing.

cvcrcr99 also brought up a valid point regarding valvetrain upgrades for aggressive camshaft profiles. To add on, for force induction applications (turbocharged or supercharged) it is a even further important to invest on these components to prevent float cause by boost pressures behind the intake valves. We had taking this into consideration during the design process of Bisimoto Pro springs to insure the proper seat pressures to avoid valve float due to radical camshaft profiles, high rpms and boost pressures behind intake valves.

If you need some further insight and assistance with your project, PM you phone number and I will gladly give you a call.