Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How can you tell if you have a bad head?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Default How can you tell if you have a bad head?

I'm having some internal problems with a car of mine. Want to take apart the motor and get a look at the head, but before I do that I need to know what I'm looking for. Also, what are some characteristics of a car that has a bad head? Perhaps it can be diagnosed with out having to dis and re-asemble. Thanks guys.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:10 PM

Well, we would need a little more information, as there are a bunch of different reason which could consider a head "bad". Usually, it is just one part of many that could have failed causing the head to become "bad".

Are you overheating? Excessive noise? Low compression? What's the reason you believe that the head is bad? Characteristics of a bad head could be from something as obvious as smashed up valves (easily identified), or a warped head that's something like 0.03 inches off (you really wouldn't be able to tell that easily).

Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Well, we would need a little more information, as there are a bunch of different reason which could consider a head "bad". Usually, it is just one part of many that could have failed causing the head to become "bad".

Are you overheating? Excessive noise? Low compression? What's the reason you believe that the head is bad? Characteristics of a bad head could be from something as obvious as smashed up valves (easily identified), or a warped head that's something like 0.03 inches off (you really wouldn't be able to tell that easily).
well, it has absolutely no acceleration....It'll pick up, but only if you drive it regularly(going the speed limit, not hauling ***, etc etc.) But once you try to give it some gas in which ever gear, it sounds VERY VERY clogged for some reason, like its struggling to get air. Once you take your foot off the gas, it'll pick up a little. In otherwords....the early stages of entering the highway, are very tuff, especially up hill.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Chubby Chaser

i suggest checking your timing, and also when have you done a tune up?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

^^^^^^ been some years since I've done a tune-upski.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Default How can you tell if you have a bad head

i picked one up for 250 ausincluding postageand it goes pritty well the only thing that has brocken is the e3000 starter that came with it. the e3000 starter is crapp dont ever buy it

any way who or whatis prior one and also the head on it keeps the engine pritty cool

Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 AM
HCF Member

I've had issues like that with acceleration. Couple things I would look into..the o2 sensor and/or plugged catalytic converter. Unfortunately neither of those are very cheap fixes, but the last time I had an issue with acceleration it was a plugged cat. And it had the exact symptoms you are describing...uphill was terrible.

A bad head would result in things like noisy lifters...or water in the oil due to a blown head gasket. Honestly unless there was some major damage to the head, I doubt its the reason for your problem.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

another posibility could be the timing belt jumped a tooth or two

Old 12-26-2009, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

that was happening to me, but it turned out it was cuz my turbo was clogged by my breather valve which had got sucked in..cuz my filter fell off....>_<

which is a long story...but much lulz

Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

correct me if im wrong but someone could have put somethign in your exhaust.. wouldnt that do that too?

Originally Posted by Cryogenic SI
that was happening to me, but it turned out it was cuz my turbo was clogged by my breather valve which had got sucked in..cuz my filter fell off....>_<

which is a long story...but much lulz
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha nobody cares

Quick Reply: How can you tell if you have a bad head?