Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

how much hp do cams add

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:59 AM
HCF Member
Default how much hp do cams add

im looking to get some cams for my 98 civic dx sohc non vtec how much horsepower will it add if any i already have a cold air intake and a 2.5 in straight piped exhaust(no cat) and dc sports headers

Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: how much hp do cams add

how come in your sig it says your turbo'd?

for your car it would only be one cam because it's a sohc (single over head cam). It will help a little bit, depends a lot on the motor and other mods. really hard to say.

Usually people upgrade parts in stages, a stage 1 cam you wont need to upgrade your valvetrain. But if you go higher you will have to, and would be a good idea to upgrade other parts internally as well. Theres a certain kind you want to get too, there are two main different kinds of material used to make them... can't remember off the top of my head. But for hondas you don't want to get the other kind. Search around for more info.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

A cam would be more of a gateway mod if you dont have anything else. Meaning, you wont notice a whole lot of power with just the cam, but once you start addin stuff after it your power increase will be higher. After the cam some things that would be a big benifit would be a tune,intake and exhaust. Also, an adjustable cam gear wouldnt be a bad idea either, its not absolutely needed but it wont hurt anything.

+1 on whats with the turbo stuff in your sig.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

thanks alot guys...oh i havent been on here in quite a while thats my old car turbo locked up cuz i had an oil feed problem i jus got this 98 civic dx and dont really have much intrest in boosting it after wat happen the last time i did that jus looking for the most n/a poer i can get out of it...i already have a cold air intake and catles exhaust anythin else you guys think would be a good thing... please let me know wat you think

Old 06-27-2008, 03:58 PM

From what I know and my experience, cam gears are for tuning you car with internal item already on it. You'll see/feel little or no extra power with just a Cam Gear. However, Cam shaft would make your car rip like no other while in the higher rpm's. Add a cam gear to get the most out of the cam shaft. My Crower stage 2 sounds amazing at idle, a little rumble as I am sittin at a light. Good Luck with it!