Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Radiator and antifreeze help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 PM
HCF Member
Default Radiator and antifreeze help please

on the way home today on the interstate the temp guage started to get hot again for the 3rd time and i stopped and check the radiator well it was empty but the overfill tank was still full liek it should be and i have not seen a leak ever in my driveway or anything i check it all the time and i had a pressure test on the radiator 2 times and holds pressure at 20 lbs. Now i am about to sell this car just because i have put 1000 dollars into it but i dont know what to do i seriosuly dont get it because i do not see a leak the radiator holds pressure the overfill is still where it suppossed to be can someone help please!

Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Radiator and antifreeze help please

Does the radiator fan run when the engine is hot?

Is the thermostat bad?

Do you see white smoke in the exhaust?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

I have never seen this radiator fan kick on i dunno why but do you got any ideas about that

also how would you know if the thermostat is bad someone said it is not but how would you know any ideas on that either and also nope i have not seen white in my exhaust

Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Unplug the 2P connector for the temperature switch in the thermostat housing and then insert a jumper wire into each terminal of the connector. If the fan runs when the ignition key is turned to ON, then the temperature switch is bad. A fan that won't run will contribute to overheating.

I think that if the upper radiator hose doesn't get hot when the engine has just warmed up, then the thermostat may be stuck closed (bad).

Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

well see ya the fan might not kick on and cause it to over heat but also about 2 months later after i put antifreeze in the radiator its gone and i see no leaking i wonder where it is going and i think that top hose does get hot but i will check that next time but yah i dont know where that antifreeze is going that is my question

Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You could be loosing coolant while driving.

Fill the reservoir and radiator with coolant, then bleed the cooling system of trapped air as described in the service manual:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Let the engine idle while parked until it begins to overheat and then carefully look for leaks.

During this time, you can also check whether the radiator fan turns ON and whether the upper radiator hose gets hot.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 AM
HCF Member

i think i might be either loosing the coolant while i am driving or either it is burning it but see my civic runs awesome best gas mileage i got was 41 mpg and its a stick and average i get is 36-38 so i mean this car runs great and gets awesome gas mileage i dont think its anything really big what do you think?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 AM
HCF Member

o and another thing yet have i told you that i have not seen my radiator fan kick on yet even like when the engine runs normal temp i will open my hood and my radiator fan is not running what should i check to see how to fix that i would hate to get rid of my car but i want to learn and how to get this problem solved so i can keep this car and save gas becuase i love th gas mileage and i love driving it and also it only has 70,000 miles on it just breakin it in
so what do you think

Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JakeyMan07

o and another thing yet have i told you that i have not seen my radiator fan kick on yet even like when the engine runs normal temp i will open my hood and my radiator fan is not running what should i check to see how to fix that i would hate to get rid of my car but i want to learn and how to get this problem solved so i can keep this car and save gas becuase i love th gas mileage and i love driving it and also it only has 70,000 miles on it just breakin it in
so what do you think
Unplug the 2P connector for the temperature switch in the thermostat housing and then insert a jumper wire into each terminal of the connector. If the fan runs when the ignition key is turned to ON, then the temperature switch is bad.

If the fan doesn't run with a jumper wire inserted into the temp switch connector, then you might have a bad fan relay or fan.