Blaster SS coil, and MSD cap and rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
HCF Member
Default Blaster SS coil, and MSD cap and rotor

A while back i had 100 bucks to throw away so i thought i'd pick up this little setup.

Honda Civic MSD Blaster SS Ignition Coil

and you have to get

Honda Civic MSD Modified Distributor Cap & Rotor Kit

Ok. Installation on this is fairly easy if you have some sense of wiring. it is just cutting two wires and adding longer wire to them and attaching it to the coil. MSD's instructions are easy to follow if you can follow instructions well without pictures. Installation took ~45 min. i really took my time cause i didnt wanna mess anything up.

Ok now for the fun part. after double checking and making sure everything was hooked up right. i fired up the car. it started easier and quicker. which to me is a plus. less cranking on the starter, and less draw on the battery. after letting it sit, and making sure it didnt throw any CEL's for whatever reason i took it for a spin. right off the bat i noticed throttle response was a lot better. it seemed quicker and more responsive. In my SOHC vtec was a little more noticeable. idk why but it seemed like you could feel it a lot better.

This MSD ignition setup isnt gonna give you huge HP gains. It did however make a quite noticeable difference on the throttle response. Worth it? eh i'd say so. the plus side is. honda style coils around here go for about 80 bucks for a good one with warranty. but the MSD only being 47 does save some money if it goes bad, and coils go bad. Oh and you who live in states where smog is an issue, this IS CARB legal. so no swapping when you have to smog.