Exterior DIYs Lip kits, wheels, fogs, other appearance items.

Debadging

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Stinky Administrator
Default Debadging

Debadging 101 by Windcalmer

O.K. kids you are reading this which means you didn't start a new thread to ask a question that has been asked too many times already. For that we here at the HCF love you already. LOL

First, your on your own if you mess something up. don't blame us. Legal stuff over.

Your gonna need the following:

Dental floss (they give it out free at the dentist)
Hair dryer (your moms, or Gfs will work great)
Rubbing alcohol (no not 151 or Vodka)
Rags (cotton)
Razor blade (single edge. don't need anyone cutting themselves up)
Plastic putty knife (ask the paint people at home depot)***
One white eraser from Staples/Office Depot etc.***
Goo Gone (yellow stuff that take the sticky off.)
WD-40 Or PB Blaster Will Work To
***-- You only need one or the other here

Alright, time to get started. First, wash the car and dry it.

Second, use the hair dryer to slightly heat up the badge you want to remove. Don't over do it, just get it to where you can touch it, but wouldn't want to hold it. ((again, careful here. You can blister your paint if the hairdryer is hot enough))

Now with it hot take a length of dental floss and saw back and forth behind the badge. It should start to slowly work its way through the glue on the back side. Don't worry if you leave behind some of the glue. We will get that off later. Also, if the dental floss breaks, its not a big deal. Just get another piece and continue as though nothing ever happened.

Now you should have the badge off and some sticky on the car. If not you missed a step. GO back and read over the first part again.

Now we do battle with Mrs. Sticky.

First clean the area with the alcohol. Now put some Goo Gone on a rag and wipe over the sticky. It should come off. If it is stubborn and does not want to come off, use the white eraser to rub it off or the plastic putty knife. Then go back over it with the Goo Gone.

Now you should have the badge off and no sticky on the car.

Wax the area right after you get done. Enjoy.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 02-24-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 AM

so what about when u have 2 small hole left under the badge.....?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

you will need to have those filled by a body shop or you can do it yourself with some body filler..

Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the center H badge you cannt just remove it.
i would sugest just painting the badge to match the car and snap it back on. alot cheaper than filling and painting the whole trunk lid!
painting it to match will make it less noticable.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 AM

A friend of mine just cut an eraser to fit the size of the holes, painted it with black nail polish n plugged it up. Kinda ghetto-rigged but it worked just fine and is barely noticable.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

That is very very ghetto. I would never do that.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 AM

well not everyone has loads of money or a mommy n daddy to hand everything to them. SO...sometimes you gotta go with ghetto. It actually doesn't look bad. You really can't notice it unless ur face is an inch away. Ill try to get a pic up. I think you would do it if you saw how it actually turned out.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

I wouldn't take the H off the back of my car. And its doesn't take loads of money to get filler and do it right. If i did take my stock H off i would replace it with a jdm style H

Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 AM

YOU not removing your H isn't the issue here. He wanted to remove it and now needs to figure out how to fill the holes. Ur remark about how ghetto it is and how you would never do it is irrelevant. First of all...ERASER: 50c cents, NAIL POLISH to match ur car color: One dollar. So if it does end up looking that terrible, you can remove it and have wasted $1.50, no biggie. Sencond of all, you prolly already have an eraser layng around ur house somewhere n if you have a gf or mom, she may already have the nail polish color that you would need. So it's something that can be done rather than spending more money on filler. It will take 5 minutes tops and is worth a try.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

nail polish really? Go to autozone and get paint to match your car thats $5.50. If you do that whole eraser thing, you my friend are known as rice. I wouldn't recommend that. Do it the right way and your car will look 10 times better and get much more respect.

Quick Reply: Debadging