Fuel Economy Discuss tips and tricks for better fuel ecomony.

Eco Button in Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Default Eco Button in Civic

Hey everyone,

I am looking at the new 2012 civic sedan and or coupe in the LX model and in automatic, and am wondering what kind of mileage does it really get with and without the eco button on.

i drive 60 miles freeway round trip to and from work 4 days a week. I usually never hit traffic because of my off hours in my work schedule. So over for a week I am usually driving 240 miles freeway and about 275 overall a week.

What kind of mileage can i expect to get with this car? Dealership told me I should be getting more then the sticker says because the ratings on sticker are without the eco on.

Thanks

Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM
HCF Member

I'm not really sure but I will give you my best guess. Since its such a new product, I don't think anyone can really tell you for sure (even Honda's website isn't very forthcoming). I think it will depend on your driving style. If you already drive for fuel efficiency, you will see less improvement than if you weren't fuel conscious. This is because the eco assist reduces throttle response in exchange for fuel efficiency (or something along those lines). Since most of your driving does not involve much acceleration (long drives on freeway without stop and go traffic), this will not be as beneficial for you. You will probably see some improvement, but maybe like 1-2 mpg.

Again, this is just my best guess. Until people start posting real world data on blogs and forums, I think it's very hard to say. I think Honda is reluctant to post data because it depends so much on driving style.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM

oh alright. thanks for the info.

so you think id be better off getting a 2011 then? i mean i do some city driving...from my house to school and back, and getting to the actual freeway, and then from the freeway to work, i have to take surface streets for about 5 miles. but for a new 2012 civic lx i can get it for 19350 out the door and with my trade in all ill have to pay is 1850 cash...it would prob be worth it to get a 2012 civic for less then 2k out of my pocket

Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 AM

I have a 2012 Civic EX and have a 60mi round trip commute. I drive pretty chill, and do sit in about 6 miles worth of stop and go each way. Every morning I reset the Trip B on the freeway onramp to see what kind of mileage I am getting on my way to work (with econ mode engaged). I am consistantly averaging over 41mpg. I am going experiment with the econ button disengaged, but my guess is that it won't change all that much. Here is an explanation on the ECON feature from the Honda Media Newsroom:
Civic: ECON Mode
All Civic models (except Si models) have as standard a driver-selectable "ECON" driving mode that alters the Drive-by-Wire throttle system response curve in the range from about 25 percent of pedal movement to 90 percent. With less gain, the throttle opening in this range increases more gradually, for better fuel efficiency. ECON mode also alters shift timing (when equipped with automatic transmission), and alters the operation of the air conditioning system (see the Interior section for more information).

Old 06-16-2011, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the info. Please post up results; I'm really curious.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 AM

I just bought a 2012 LX last week and we're already averaging around 40 mpg.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

Nice! My goal is to get my '97 civic over 40 mpg. I'm hoping to get 44-45.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

My daughter just bought a 2012 ex-l with navi. I gets 40 miles to the gallon even in town. AND she's a speed demon. The blue, green and dark green lights have actually retaught her how to drive like us meer mortals......

Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Just purchased a 2012 Honda Civic, drove it over 300 miles home, mostly highway between 65mph and 75mph with the ECO button on. The ACTUAL MPG was 33. Love the car. MPG = miles driven/actual gallons of gas consumed! This was the first tank of gas in the car, hopefully it will improve.

Last edited by dparton; 09-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:56 AM

I just got the 2012 LX and I was wondering how much of a difference the econ button would make too! I was thinking it was a marketing gimmick, and maybe I'm a sucker, but I think it's pretty cool. I love getting those bars to stay green and keeping my eye on the gas mileage. I'll be curious to see how good I can get it!

Quick Reply: Eco Button in Civic