Fuel Economy Discuss tips and tricks for better fuel ecomony.

Looking For 45 MPG.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:27 AM

Forgot to add. I would use the stock box over what some call the "cold air filter" unless you can isolate your air intake from the heat your motor puts out its counter productive. Might get more air but if its hot air and its not doing much good. All stock boxes I know of have an inlet tube that goes in the fender to fix this issue. You always want to bring in outside air vs heated air. The tube bringing in outside air might be considered a "bottle neck" but its at least going in a positive direction over the paper filter in your stock box.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Striker
Forgot to add. I would use the stock box over what some call the "cold air filter" unless you can isolate your air intake from the heat your motor puts out its counter productive. Might get more air but if its hot air and its not doing much good. All stock boxes I know of have an inlet tube that goes in the fender to fix this issue. You always want to bring in outside air vs heated air. The tube bringing in outside air might be considered a "bottle neck" but its at least going in a positive direction over the paper filter in your stock box.
Okay, I will keep that in mind... my thought was if I can get away with getting a cheap cold air intake from ebay and it improves my MPG then I'd get a good filter for the end of it, if not, then I'd spend the money I was going to use for a cold air intake filter for a new k&n stock air filter and put the stock intake back in.

on a different note, my wife's car has a huge slot in her intake (2001 accord) at one of the bends after the filter before the throttle body. Will this cause any issues? what do you recommend for fixing it?

Old 04-16-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by lilrob1213
Okay, I will keep that in mind... my thought was if I can get away with getting a cheap cold air intake from ebay and it improves my MPG then I'd get a good filter for the end of it, if not, then I'd spend the money I was going to use for a cold air intake filter for a new k&n stock air filter and put the stock intake back in.

on a different note, my wife's car has a huge slot in her intake (2001 accord) at one of the bends after the filter before the throttle body. Will this cause any issues? what do you recommend for fixing it?
I got away with a ebay filter system on the Stang cause it came with a plate to block the hot air and the cone filter is in the fender. Had to modify it tough. Cut it up and also had to drill and tap for the air temp sensor. Attaching a photo for reference. If you decide to go with a stock filter try speed by spectre. They are more affordable than K&N and work the same way.

If the lady's tube has a hole in the tube its probably cause something is missing? Not very familiar with that car.

Attached Thumbnails Looking For 45 MPG.-004.jpg