General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?

I've been talking to some local 07 Civic owners and they all have the same issue. Gas mileage well below what Honda advertised. There was a special on the news the other day about the government forcing the car manufacturers to report more accurate numbers on their gas mileage reports. They reported that we will see a big difference in what is advertised in 08. Due to this issue, as well as many, many other issues I've experienced with my 07 Civic, I'm getting rid of it. I'm in the process of fixing some damage caused by my little sister but as soon as thats done, I'm trading it in. I'm really disappointed, not only with this car, but with American Honda. [sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 08-29-2007, 08:20 AM
HCF Member

Emstigator: completing the break-in period will only minimally increase your mileage. By far the most increase will be gained by changing your driving habits.
[ol][*]Watch your tachometer. If it goes much over 2K you are taking off too fast. If you continually downshift you are pushing too hard on the gas pedal.[*]Drive like you have no brake pedal. Glance at your speedo every time you apply the brake, if your are going faster than 25 you need to plan ahead more. You probably have learned the light changing patterns of your local lights, so look ahead and plan your stops.[*]Don't let your car idle for long periods. If you are waiting in line somewhere, turn off the engine. If you know you have a long wait at a local light, turn off the engine. If you are outside school waiting for the kids to come out from soccer practice, turn off your engine.[*]Keep your top speed down. Keepingyour max speed down to the posted speed limit will definately reap benefits.[*]Do not run your AC on the highest setting except to cool off the car after sitting in the sun. Turn it down as soon as you can. Don't keep blasting cold air on you. Park your car in the shade where possible.[*]Avoid as many short hops as possible. Plan your trips to utilize the best mileage route with the least stops. Walk between stores where possible. We all could use more excersize.[/ol]
As you can see from the other posts on this thread, some of us here do get excellent mileage with our Civics. The local dealer here in Rock Island, IL (Zimmerman) says that most of his customers are claiming 28-30 with mostly city driving. My last tank got me 411 miles and 37.9 MPG. It can be done.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

Your 25 mph thing with brakes and planning ahead is total BS, especially if you want to abide by traffic laws (i.e. traffic lights) and there is any sort of traffic. You would have to be planning almost a mile ahead of yourself. I tested this out, a couple days ago. On a flat road, going 45 mph (posted speed limit), I shifted into neutral more than 1/2 a mile away from the stop light, probably closer to 2/3 of a mile away. I only did this because I knew I wasn't going to be in anybody's way and wasn't going to **** anybody off. When I got close to the light, to the point where I had to apply the brakes or I'd run the light or slide into the intersection because I didn't have enough time to stop the car even with the brake pedal to the floor, I had only slowed down 13 mph, I was still doing 32 mph. So Gene, either you live in a non-populated area, with little to no traffic lights/stop signs and large distances between the traffic lights/stop signs you do have, or you are pissing a lot of people off, maybe both. If you live in a heavily populated area, with a stop light at least every mile, if not less, your 25 mph rule is not practical. If you lived near me and you tired to stick to that rule, you'd be on your 4th or 5th Civic because you'd be ran off the road almostdaily.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM

I forgot to mention that my car's an automatic, so I don't have a lot of control over the shifting. Outside of the braking thing, which I agree is very difficult to time in a crowded area, I generally do drive with energy conservation in mind. And I'm not speeding, since VA just imposed the world's most ridiculous fines! My last Civic got about 33/40 mpg when I got it at 3 years old. This declined with time, but I was eagerly anticipating the good gas mileage a new model would get me. In fact, it was my primary reason for buying another Civic. So on the one hand, I'm glad to hear that I didn't just buy an underperforming lemon, but on the other hand, I'm sorry that there seems to be a trend of disappointment with this among owners.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

shunut: I do live in a populated area (300,000) and I have no problem abiding by my rules as posted. Of course you cannot always be down to 25 when you apply the brakes, but you can try. Every little bit helps. I am currently averaging 36-37 MPG, how about you? My mileage speaks for itself.

Note: I started doing the gas saving thing back around 1975, so most of this now feels pretty comfortable to me.Keep at it, your mileage will improve.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

I do as much as I can to save gas and like it says above I only get 22mpg. I shift some where between 2-2500 rpm. I shift to neutral whenever I can and coast as long as I can. Unfortunately due to the heat in AZ and my health my a/c is on all the time. During the day the setting is usually set at the coldest setting and the fan is between 1/2 - Full power. Any less I have serious problems breathing. I park in a garage so getting the interior down to an acceptable temperature is easy, but with 110* everyday, keeping it there requires high use. The population here is high and compact. Driving around town means many stop lights in a short distance. From my house to the freeway is 6 miles, there are 13 stop lights. Your driving style might work for you, your car and where you live but that doesn't mean it will work everywhere. 1800 miles on my car now and still no sign of any increase in gas mileage. I thought I'd see some increase because I spent a lot more time on the freeway than I normally do, but no such luck. I know that if I lived where I use to live in IL I would probably get better gas mileage. Way less stop lights. More distance between stop lights. Cooler weather.

I'm getting rid of the car so its no big deal, not because of the gas mileage. I've had it in the shop 7 times and I haven't even owned the car 3 months. I've spoke with American Honda and they don't seem to care much so I'm moving on.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

Sorry to hear that buddy, best of luck elsewhere!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 PM

I just got an 07 civ LX last week. I've got almost 500 km on at and only filled it up once. For that fill, i got 7.7 L/100km. It was all city and driving very carefully as it is just starting the break in period.

Quick question for you guys ... are you all using US gallons on your mpg calculations? ...because that makes a big difference. For example my 7.7 L/100km works out to around 37 MPG in imperial and around 31 in US MPG. Everything I've seen online uses US but if you check the conversion on the sticker of you car (2007 civ coup man : 7.8L/100km [36mpg] or 5.7L/100km [50 mpg]). Most of you are from the US so you would just have to divide your odometer with your gas reciet, but us canadians have to do a couple more steps....Also, i'm pretty tired, so if someone sees a mistake in my math, please tell me. Thanks)

Old 08-30-2007, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: shunut

You would have to be planning almost a mile ahead of yourself.
Yep, you do.

Emstigator: You do have control over the RPM's at shift point by how hard you press the gas pedal. The harder you press the pedal down the higher the shift point.

I filled up today. I went 443.2 miles on 10.952 gallonsand averaged 40.5 MPG. If you are not getting good mileage with your Honda Civic blame your right foot not the car.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:18 PM

I have an 07 Civic EX with about 1500 miles on it. My standard commute is aprox 60/40 city/highway driving. The AC is always on but not usually blasting (living in Miami, Fl). I get about 26 miles to a gallon which is pretty disappointing considering how much highway is included in my commute. I've only had the car for 2 months but pretty much baby it. It's an automatic, btw. The dealer said they use a heavier oil for the first batch, and that mileage should improve a bit after it gets changed. We'll see. I'm getting way better mileage than my last car - a 97 Saab 900s manual. But still, I was expecting much better.

Quick Reply: 07 Gas Mileage, What are you getting?