General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

1997 civic lx with blown engine??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Default 1997 civic lx with blown engine??

Newbie to the forum, but have had civics for years. My current civic is a 1997 lx sedan with 172,000 miles. It had a rear main seal oil leak that I was quoted $600 last summer to fix. At that time, I added stop leak, which worked ok for a while, but then over the winter, it lost the seal again. I was not diligent recently in checking oil level and 2 days ago, while driving on freeway my oil light came on. I immediately pulled over and added a quart (which I keep in the car), but the light stayed on and the car began driving rough. I stopped at nearest gas station and added a 2nd quart, and the car drove ok again, but the light stayed on.

I talked to the mechanic yesterday who told me I ruined my engine bearings and need to either trash the car or buy new used engine for it. Cost of repair $1300.

I don't know what to do. I love my car, and it has had a lot of work done to it (new clutch, tranny bearings, brakes, muffler, tires), but is it worth putting a used engine into it??

Any advice??

Thanks!
Janet

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

You can buy a low milage engine (~45k miles)for around 600 dollars

http://www.japanengine.com/products/...&search=&page=

Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the link! My engine is the 1.6L, so the company quoted me $730 delivered, but I had no idea that getting a low mile Japanese import was an option. It makes me feel better about investing in the repair rather than selling my car. The mechanic said if I bought the engine and pick up new filters, belts, gaskets, rear main seal, etc., then he'd swap engine and install the new parts for $500.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

No problem!
I've bought 2 engine from them (well one was for a friend) and they came very clean and in good condition. and the warranty is nice lol

But i believe that engine i linked to you will be a simple drop in as well. Wont be the same motor you have now, but it will work. and will be cheaper than buying the 1.6L... but your call lol

And you know the mechanic? he does good work?
I got mine done for 180 dollars... maybe ask around? just a thought

Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Hm, you have me wondering if it is worth the extra $200 for the 1.6 vs the 1.5. Would I notice a difference in power? I live in the mountains and it already struggles a little to hold speed going up steep grades.

The mechanic is a friend of a friend, and I know him somewhat well. I believe he is honest and fair. I am a fledgling mechanic and normally do repair projects on my vehicles myself (mostly on my suburban), and this mechanic has helped me with questions over the phone from time to time. But after reading over the manual for swapping my civic engine, it seemed like $500 was a decent price to have an experienced mechanic do the work. I may, however, go to his shop to watch & learn.

You only paid $180? Doesn't it take 8 hours to do the swap for someone who know what he is doing?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Civic engines are easy to swap. If you have all the tools handy and know what you're doing it's less than half a day no problem. For example (I don't know if they still did it on the '97 but on the older models) Honda added an extra hole for the hood prop so you can raise the hood high enough to pull the engine without removing the hood like is necessary on most cars.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 AM

I feel pretty good about paying this mechanic to do the swap, especially since he will install any new parts I purchase for my civic to go along with the engine. I'm putting together a list to order from rockauto.com, focusing on hoses, belts, gaskets and other planned obsolescence parts. I am hoping for input on items to buy. Also, the timing belt and water pump were replaced 20,000 miles ago. Should I still go ahead and buy those items too?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM

For peace of mind, do the timing belt, water pump, and timing belt tensioner.

You should do a comparison in prices from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. They're a dealership that sells cheap OEM parts. Sometimes they're cheaper, sometimes they're not.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the help. I ordered the engine today from jpm engine depot. Total cost for the 1.6L after shipping was $720. I have my rockauto.com list together and should get that ordered tomorrow, and am scheduled to take my civic to the shop on Thursday. I am excited that the mechanic is letting me watch/assist in the process, and if all goes well, my civic should be back on the road by first thing next week!