General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

1998 civic auto, flashing check engine, running rough and transmission slip...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Default 1998 civic auto, flashing check engine, running rough and transmission slip...?

First off let me say hello and thanks in advance for all and any help with my daughters car...

We have a 1998 Civic dx automatic , a second owner car with about 130k miles. The car started with a check engine light which I took it to autozone and came back with a map sensor and a torque convertor lock out selonoid codes.

Did not changed them and now driving it for about three weeks later, the check engine light started to flash...The car began to run rough and with loss of power. I told my daughter to stop driving it and leave it with me so i could take a look at it...

I took it tonight to get pizza and test drive it and the transmission seemed like it was slipping then just wouldnt move in any gear. I stopped put it into reverse, 4, 3, 2 and it wouldnt move at all...Its like neutral in all the gears. It left me stranded...

I turned it off for about two minutes and started it up again and it would engage into drive and drive off untill it hit into second gear then start slipping and become like it was in neutral again. I kept waiting about two minutes or so and drive it home like that...Nedless to say the pizza was cold and it was a pain getting back home.

I do not know what to do first...please help me out, I dont have much money to take it into a honda dealership.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Never ignore CEL codes.

Pull the CEL codes again to check for new ones. A blinking CEL indicates random misfires severe enough to damage the catalytic converter. For random misfires, bad spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are the first place to look.

Your slipping transmission is almost surely related the lock out solenoid code.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:17 PM

don't double post. one thread per topic

Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks, I will do the wires, plugs, and cap in the morning...The transmission doesnt even go into any gears. Do you still think it would be that soloniod?

Sorry about posting two posts...I saw the other section after I posted on general.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

And fix both CEL codes and then go from there.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 AM
HCF Member

I had a similar issue. Trans would go out of gear and not move. Turn it off I could drive for a little bit. These trans don't have a filter that can be changed. it's a screen inside and it gets blocked up. When it does, you have NO GO.. I'd get the other issues fixed first. Then if it still is doing it, rebuild tranny- or like me- find a used one on Craigslist. Mine was $100 a year ago and it's still going.....

Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the transmission fluid level, because if it has all leaked out the transmission will slip or not engage at all. Continuing to drive like that though is almost certain to burn up the transmission.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Default Thank you all...

First things first...I changed the wires, plugs, cap, rotor and the map sensor. I disconnected the battery so the check engine light reset. I could not find the transmission lock out solenoid in-town so I had to order it, will be here tomorrow morning.

The car started right up and the miss and rough idling is gone...Revs perfect, no check engine light. But, you put it into any gear and starts to move then revs up and no movement. I have to turn it off wait a couple of minutes then it goes through the same scenario, sucks...Hope tomorrow the soleniod fixes it.

Im not sure how to check the transmission oil, do I have to put it into neutral then check it or while its cold or hot? I did take the dip stick out and it was way too loose, it just sat right on the top. I think I would also need one of those. Anyhow the fluid level while cold and in park was good and it did not smell burnt at all...

Old 06-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Default Just so there's closure...

Changed the lock out solenoid, 200 bucks down the drain...did not fix the problem. Found a place 2 hours from me that put in a used tranny with 6 months warranty for 550, parts and labor installed. Could not beat that with a bat. It's done and runs like new. Thanks all for help.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

The transmission dip stick is suppose to just sit in there unlike the oil stick that sort of snaps in place. It's normal and it works.