General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 AM
The Man
Default 2 questions

first question...soo i have done research already. and can't find an answer
this is my go to place for knowing i will find the right answer.

i have hid lights and one went out the other week. so in the mean time i went to install my stock bulb...simple right/

well it would only work on high beams. so i went out and bought a new light blob...still only worked on the high beams...idk what it is. the connection looks a little burnt. but i don't think that would be the issue

i am not sure where to start as to wear i should diagnose,

any ideas. over here cops look for anything to pull you over. and i have gotten pulled over 4 times so far for this reason.

next question.. i haven't done research on it. so i don't want to ask haha

but i will any ways,

my auto locks don't work...any reason as to why? i checked the fuse, all is good...it makes a noise when i press the button to lock but nothing

any ways, thanks for the help =)

Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 AM
HCF Member

triple check it is the right bulb and plugged in right. If you had to modify the wiring at all for the HIDs then obviously you would need to undo that. Short of those 2 you should check the fuses, then the continuity of the wires to the bulb. If all of those check out then you may need to check the switch inside the car.

For auto locks, some civics have trouble with the locks with after market stereos. It sounds like your motor went bad and needs replacement, open the door and see if voltage it going to the motor when you press the switch, if it is (you can find the voltage the should be going across it on google, i have all manual) then you need a new motor most likely.

Last edited by Turtlegrip; 05-05-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Both low beams don't work, or just one side? Also don't use one stock and one HID, that would be asking to get pulled over.

Many models have separate fuses for each beam. Check all 4 fuses. The two "low" fuses should get power (from both test points to ground) with the light switch set for low and the two "high" with it on high. You can also take the column cover off and check for power leaving the switch.

Last edited by mk378; 05-05-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 AM
HCF Member

Did your HID kit some with a relay where the there is a red wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery, goes to a 30A inline fuse and then going to the two ballasts, OR did your HID ballasts plug directly into the stock harness for the headlight bulbs? If it's the latter, you may have fried the wires in the stock harness, because they're not designed to handle 30 amps of power in sending 24,000 volts of electricity to the ballasts.