General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2000 Civic [resurrection]

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Default RE: 2000 Civic [resurrection]

Personally i think it will be stronger in the cut place after this becase of the extensive welding on top of each other and other such safety precautions. but he said by the time its over noone will ever be able to tell it was a cut and shut. But you better believe if i drive it and dont think its safe i wont keep it. but its all gutted now and im going to haveto wait about a month for them to get back from pheonix so we can start the cutting. so now i can only wait [>:]

Old 06-30-2007, 12:31 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Eihn

Personally i think it will be stronger in the cut place after this becase of the extensive welding on top of each other and other such safety precautions. but he said by the time its over noone will ever be able to tell it was a cut and shut. But you better believe if i drive it and dont think its safe i wont keep it. but its all gutted now and im going to haveto wait about a month for them to get back from pheonix so we can start the cutting. so now i can only wait [>:]
Is it really that messed up?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:37 AM

well i thought it could just be bent back into place and such cuz it really is a nice car besides the back end. but he said it would take days on the frame puller or something to fix it.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:00 AM

sorry, but thats just crazy.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Eihn

while welding two pieces of material together does result in a strong bond (the welded portion being the strongest), it does inherently weaken the metal structure adjacent to the weld.

if the cutting or welding results in even a fraction of an inch difference in the straightness of the car, the car will be extremely unsafe, and the handling characteristics will not be consistent. That you even have a mechanic that is willing to do such a procedure on a unibody, without adding a structural frame, is a testament to their stupidity and ego.

It's your life, but please, keep the time bomb off the road, so that when it fails, you don't injure others.