General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2000 Honda Civic Ex For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Exclamation 2000 Honda Civic Ex For Sale

I'm looking at buying a 2000 Honda Civic Ex that is for sale but I was wondering if other people could tell me what they think of this Civic before I buy it.

According to the CARFAX Report it has never been in any reported accidents and it has only had one owner. All of the maintenance on it was done at Sam Swope Honda World, where the car was originally purchased and is for sale at now. The previous owner traded it in for a new car.

The only two things I am worried about are the price that the dealership is asking for it ($7,491) and that it is a Coupe.

According to Kelly Blue Book this car in excellent condition should sell for $7,150 on a dealership lot but I still think that that price is a little high. Am I correct in thinking this or am I wrong? What price would you offer the dealership if you were going to buy the car?

The issue with it being a Coupe is that I previously owned a 1995 Honda Civic Lx that was a Sedan. But everything else about this car appears to be flawless and I don't want to pass up the chance to get it just because it is a Coupe.

Also, according to maintenance records the timing belt was replaced at 71,201 miles in October 2008 so I thought that this was a good sign for it to run at least another 50k or so without any major issues.

Another thing to consider is if I should trade in my 1995 Honda Civic Lx if I am going to buy this car. A dealership would probably only give me $300 for the car but on the side I have someone that is considering buying it from me. It is a great car and I hate to see it go but right now they are reporting issues with the head gasket, which I have already had fixed twice now, along with the timing belt and water pump. Basically, it has always had an overheating problem from day one of me buying it. But, if this person wants to buy it from me and fix it themselves would that be worth more than me just trading it in?

Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

P.S. - I am only 5' 1" and have to have the Ex style of newer model Civics so that I can manually adjust the seat height in order to be able to see over the steering wheel comfortably.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:57 AM
HCF Member

most importantly, how many miles are on the car now? That price is very high, unless you are getting some sort of extended warranty, and even then I would feel queasy spending that much on a car that you could probably find for 3000-4500 from a private seller.

I bought my 2000 civic LX with 120k miles in great condition about 3 years ago for $4300 and even that wasnt a very good deal.

I've never gotten a car through a dealer, so im not that well informed, but I would never pay 7.5k for an 11 year old car. As for your 95 civic, I would not trade it in. I would try and sell it privately for more, because even if you cant find a buyer, you could get 300 just selling it for scrap.

Maybe someone else can give you a more informed perspective, because I have only bought 2 cars, but based on the prices I see in my paper, that seems like a bad deal to me. Goodluck with whatever you decide though.

As for the 2000 civic, It's a great choice. It was the last year for wishbone suspension, IMO the best styling of any civic, very easy to find parts for, less heavy than the models that followed. My major complaint would be the windows, the auto windows get stuck a lot, and they fog up pretty heavy in the rain. Also, there was a recall on a solenoid for some auto transmissions that causes harsh shifting, but I'm sure you can test drive before purchase.

Also, in case you didnt know, you can get a 2000 EX 4 door, they are just a little less common. I enjoy having the extra space, and with the right mods, they can look just as nice as the coupes.

Last edited by MaximusFunk; 02-19-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:39 AM

The price on that is so high beause it has 87000 miles. Anything below 100k miles is considered "low miles". I have a 2000 and I love it, but at that price you should walk away.

Yeah, it has low miles. Yeah, it's clean. Yeah, no wrecks. Yeah, one owner. Yeah, all maintenance done at the dealership. But that price is just unacceptably high for a car that old, despite condition.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

very very high for a 2000 car even if it only has <100K miles. my final price range (not the offer price) for it would be around $5700-6000 (including dealer fees).

one thing about civic coup before 2005 is the trunks don't have remote release. so if you're carrying stuff you can't just open the back doors and put in the backseat or use remote to pop open the trunk, gotta use your keys. just a tiny personal gripe.

edit:
btw, the current kelly blue book value for excellent retail is only about $6200 (if you go to kbb.com and do a search yourself).
I think the dealer's kbb value is based on last year's (2010), which is why the $1000 difference. so given that, i'd go even lower, maybe lower that $5500 after fees and everything

Last edited by Capnx; 02-21-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM

I have a 2001 civic ex 4 dr. that I am considering replacing now and had since 2004 when I bought it from a dealer for 10,995 less my trade in but they gave me more for my car to meet my offer, so I'm not sure what I paid, probobly around $9,000 or so. The civic was certified and had about 67,000 miles. It has 97,000 now. It's been a great car. Now I'm going to consider either leasing or buying new, unless I see another great used car. From the used car guides Edmonds or Kelly, my car looks to be about 3500 as a trade in. Needs some work, maybe $500. I see the new models are LX or EX. Which is the best way to go?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Generally speaking, EX models have more extra options like a sunroof, alloy rims, etc. LX doesn't have those.

I'm not sure if this holds true for the latest generation.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic

Pick your generation. Click on "Main article: Honda Civic (xxxxxxxx generation)" Trims will be there.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

BAD DEAL. You can find the same Civic being sold by a private seller for probably $4000!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by disaznjason
BAD DEAL. You can find the same Civic being sold by a private seller for probably $4000!
It must be location because I am not seeing 2000 Civics with that mileage for 4k. Ever since gas prices started going up, so did the cost of cars with reputations of getting good mpg.

I am looking at a 99 Coupe with 89k miles on it and they are asking 6495.00 for it and a local dealer here has a 98 sedan with 64k they are asking 7450.00 for. I have not seen any Civic with less that 100k miles for 4k. If someone has one here, that is a southern car that will sell for that price, let me know!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RickC37830
It must be location because I am not seeing 2000 Civics with that mileage for 4k. Ever since gas prices started going up, so did the cost of cars with reputations of getting good mpg.

I am looking at a 99 Coupe with 89k miles on it and they are asking 6495.00 for it and a local dealer here has a 98 sedan with 64k they are asking 7450.00 for. I have not seen any Civic with less that 100k miles for 4k. If someone has one here, that is a southern car that will sell for that price, let me know!
That's weird. I see lots of 96-00 Civics going under $5000 around here in middle TN. We have a local forum called TennSpeed and everyone on there bashes on people who try to sell their 96-00 Civic's over $5000 even in mint stock condition. Maybe it is just location. But I think it's just the private sellers that make it so low. Dealer's overcharge imo. I bought my 2000 EX from a dealer for $5750 with 111k miles when I later saw private seller's selling the exact same model with less mileage in the 3-4k range.

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Civic Ex For Sale