General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2006 Civic LX Sedan AT vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Default 2006 Civic LX Sedan AT vibration?

Any one else notice a vibration or louder growling sound from the car while driving. Usually happens at around 1500 rpm. ? Does it ever feel like the car likes to get stuck a little bit too long at 1500 rpm?

Old 03-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Default RE: 2006 Civic LX Sedan AT vibration?

Hi,

I've got an '06 Civic sedan--I'll watch what happens at that RPM.

I do note that the AT is not as satisfying as my old 5-speed MT was, in that it's your typical auto tranny: Kind boggy (bogs down) when you put your foot into it, as opposed to a manual where you can drop to, say, 2nd gear and wind it out some. But, after 10 years with a Civic MT, I finally got tired of shifting...

Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 PM

Thanks for your checking. This 'issue' has been brought up on other forums. Edmonds.com for example. One respondent put it in words this way and it describes exactly what it feels like when you are driving. It usually happens around 1500 rpm give or take 100.
"I have had the same problem with numerous visits back to the dealer. My dealer has been in contact with Honda's engineers who have admitted that the problem is similar to what you might experience with a manual transmission car being driven too slow in fourth gear. You get a growl because you're going to slow for the gear it's in. The car isn't downshifting into the lower gear soon enough. They will be working on a fix to the computer problem that controls the shifting pattern. I hope this info is helpful. "

Old 03-29-2006, 05:36 PM

actually...I notice it too...is there a fix for it..what exactly is it and should I be worried?

Edit: wow..I totally missed you saying that it will be a computer chip fix...thanks for the info! (I'm only 3% awake)

Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 AM

HOLD your horses! We don't know if it is a computer chip fix or not. That was just someones idea from another forum 'edmunds.com'. Another poster said that they could hear the growl noise in all gears , so the theory of it being "the wrong gear for that rpm' doesn't work. Truth is , I have searched and mentioned it to my dealer but, no one has said they know what it is yet. When I get my first oil change , then that is when I will go with a mechanic for a test drive and try to reproduce it. My car is an 2006 civic lx auto with about 200 miles.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:23 PM

OK so on another forum , someone again says that they have the growling noise at 1500 rpm because the car is in the wrong gear. And they say that Honda is going to supply a chip fix. Hard to know if this is really true though. I will ask my dealer today.

quiote:
"Mine EX coupe was built in Canada in November 2005. I average 32 to 35 mpg. My dealer is waiting for Honda to issue a revised chip for the computer that controls shift points. I don't know if adjusting shift points would make all that much different in mileage. I didn't start noticing the "growl" until I had approx. 1000 miles on the car. Other than that its been a great car. "

Old 03-30-2006, 05:01 PM

hmmm...70's man..can you contact your dealer and ask if he knows anything about it?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:14 AM

I will have it checked out at my first oil change due in about a month. I did tell my dealer about it who said he doesn't know anything about this so he wants to test drive it when I come in.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:56 PM

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but not to the vibration problem. I have an 06 LX AT sedan with 8,000 miles on the meter. Soon after delivery I notice a vibration at 1400-1500 rpm. The sound seemed to come from the rear of the car on the passenger's side. Took the car to the dealer and they could not hear the noise. Great. To be more specific the sound shows up only when the car is going up a slight grade, in short the engine and tranny are under load. I tried to get the sound to show up when standing still (AT in neutral) and taking the tach up to 1500 rpm. No joy. So back to the dealer. They torqued all the fasteners from the motor mounts aft. That stopped the sound from the back of the car. Now the sound is confined to the engine compartment. The dealer now feels that the "A" exhaust pipe may be the source of the problem. This has been a problem in the past on Honda's. In fact he has a customer with a vibration problem on a Odyssey. He is going to talk with the DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) and see if he has any thoughts on the issue. In my last conversation with the dealer I said there must be other Civic's with the same problem. Guess what? I was right.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 PM

Greetings,
You're not going to believe this. My dealer just called and informed me that Honda has today (9/26) issued a service bulletin that addresses the vibration issue. It is NOT the "a" pipe, or the computer chip. It IS the serpentine belt that cause an abnormal vibration. My dealer has ordered the belt and it should be in next week. HURRAY.

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic LX Sedan AT vibration?