General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2006 HONDA CIVIC DXG

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Default 2006 HONDA CIVIC DXG

Hello guys,

I am a newbie needing some advice.I will be taking possession of a brand new canadian HONDA CIVIC DXG tomorrow.Could anyone advice me on what to lookout for before i pay the final price?I read of the accelerator pedal being stuck and causing horrible accidents or passengers being severely injured when the airbags did not even deploy at all in case of severe accidents.Is this true and are there more incidents/problems that i should watch out for?

Thanks a lot guys,

Robert

This is the link:
http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystat...IVIC&year=2006

Old 09-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Default RE: 2006 HONDA CIVIC DXG

whoa lol that seems like something that would have been found in initial testing I hope that is a low statistic. Congratz on the new car though as long as it doesnt kill you I do not know anything more then you know concerning the pedal. I know some people earlier mentioned that the pads you put your feet on (forgot the name some how) is sometimes to big and will grab onto the pedals might need to trim them down to be safe. Not sure if that is applicable with your car just a thought.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Default RE: 2006 HONDA CIVIC DXG

My first day : The possession of my civic was ok and i test drove it afer my plates
were transferred from the old car to the new.While the sales man was unscrewing the plates and fixing on to the new car,i did my thourough visual inspection of scrathes,bumps,etc.After that,i sat inside and from each seat position,tested every button,handle,switch i could find to make sure it works,isn't loose,stuck,etc.Next i was given the keys to drive off for a test drive and i went to a secluded road nearby and put the car (on a flat road) to neutral.Slowly i moved the steering wheel 1 cm to the left,back 2 cm to the right.Did if a few more times,the accelrator nor the RPM did not go up.Good job Honda!That was my main concern. Next, i put it on gear,Park with brakes, and Park without brakes. All was within my expected parameters. Idling was smooth and clear.Tested all lights,horn,power windows,etc and drove back to dealer and finalised the possession.He was very professional,did not hurry things and was friendly.After the dealership closed at 6pm,i was still at the parking lot as all the roads were clogged with traffic.I chose the option to read the manual and did more checking than sit idling in traffic.Half an hour later, i was back in the secluded side road and test drove more quickly by moving left,right,u-turns,3 point turns but no sudden stops nor extreme manouveres.All in all,the civic was very stable,quiet and solid.Later on,i went onto the H.404,norhtbound,exited,went southbound and exited where i entered previously.Acceleration to 100k/h was good but it did take sometime for it to get to speed.About 1-2 seconds was acceptable and i could hear the engine roaring.That's ok as my own ford and other cars i test drove did the same anyway. Even Europen Renaults, Mercs, Fords ,Toyotas, Hyundais, etc.did the same anyway so i know it was just normal for the 1-2 second delay. Braking was extremely smooth and very quiet. Hardly any shudder or screeching from 100 to 60 to final stop at lights.Had a well deserved dinner at Pacific Mall .From taking the keys to dinner took me about 2 hours.Well guys,thanks for the encouragement and if anyone wanna know more, reply in this topic and i will give a weekly comment.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Default RE: 2006 HONDA CIVIC DXG rust ?

By the way,did anyone go for aftermarket rust proofing like Krown or something else.Seems redundant since my 3 yr Honda covers rust anyway but it seems they wanna it done within the first 6months of purchase and they wanna drill holes too and this might void my original Honda antirust warranty.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 AM

One more thing,it seems the handbook states the civic is rather fussy on gasoline and i have no idea which major gas bars are ok-ed by Honda.So,what do you civic owners use anyway?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:27 PM

OK,for all those budding fuel engineeers and chemists out there,here is the info on gas for my Civic:

1.Oxygenated gasoline containing up to 10% Ethanol by volume and 15% MTBE by volume.
Octane number 87 or higher.
2.DO NOT USE GASOLINE WITH METHANOL.
3.DO NOT USE MANGANESE BASED FUEL ADDITIVES LIKE MMT.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

Alittle civic happy are we?? Hows it feel to be a proud Honda owner??? The only thing for rust prrofing I would reccomend would be the fender wells, seems like they are always the first thing to rot out, and also, the little rubber rub strips in the fender well should be removed, a body guy I know told me that those things cause more damage than they prevent, and I've never had my factory tires and wheels rub on the fenders!!! I don't drive her easy either!! SO yeah, well congrats, welcome to the world of the compact and good luck with her!!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the warm wishes.I don't see any little rubber rub strips in the fender well . Are we talking of the mudguards?By the way,i have seen other cars having rust around the wheel wells and am seriously considering application of marine grease on the inside surfaces of wheel wells.I use this on my garage door railings and battery contacts every winter to ensure smooth operation but since it is for marine use,i guess it's usage in a saline environment won't do any undue harm to my wheel well right?

Old 09-23-2006, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_272447/tm.htm
Read.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 AM

thanks KarTuneMan but the link leads to:
Brake problem on a new 06 ex ????

My quest was refering to rust,hmmm,perhaps the link was incorrect.
Today,i saw a Honda Civic with rust on it's front hood.It was on the forward edge of the hood located above the lights.I doubt rust proofing could protect that section there unless it was applied by hand and smeared like it was grease>>thick and sticky so that it won't fall off.However,with the engine heat in summer ,it won't be a good idea as the the anti rust might melt and the fumes enter the car.,arrrrghhh.

Quick Reply: 2006 HONDA CIVIC DXG