General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2007 Civic- Oil Meter/Type of Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Default 2007 Civic- Oil Meter/Type of Oil?

So I've always been taught every 3,000 miles is an oil change.
Now I hear alot of every 5,000 miles.

And my 2007 Civic has this handy oil life percentage on it, I'm thinking "cool- no guesswork".

Well, I am at 5,000 miles now and only 30% on the oil.

Do I need to stick to the "conventional" method of every 3,000 miles?

Or do I need to get it down to 10% or so, then change it? I was also reading when you change it, you are supposed to reset the meter... If this thing is looking at the oil accurately, shouldn't it know when the oil is clean?

Also, does synthetic offer any advantage over regular oils? Any tried and true brands out there I need to look at?

Thanks!!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2007 Civic- Oil Meter/Type of Oil?

It's deja vu all over again. If you do a little search on this subject here, you will finda postto back any point of view you wish. Since my (and your) civic is under warranty I go by the owners manual. Your choice.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 PM

I personally change mine around 20%, and syn. does offer more protection along with the fact that is probably what is recommended from manufactorer.

The meter does not read the oil, it takes into consideration several variables and determines what the percentage is.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 06Si

I personally change mine around 20%, and syn. does offer more protection along with the fact that is probably what is recommended from manufactorer.

The meter does not read the oil, it takes into consideration several variables and determines what the percentage is.
The Owner's Manual for the Honda Civic Sedan recommends Honda motoroil. It says you may use synthetic if it meets the same standards as the recommended oil. It further states to use the same change interval for oil and filter as for Honda motor oil. If you like spending more for your oil then buy synthetic.I can't imagine Honda recommending an oil that offers less protection for their cars.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
HCF Member

oh and i thought i read somewhere that its best to change it at 15%

Old 04-06-2008, 04:19 AM

Gene, this sounds like what I recall reading...

I don't have the manual with me at the moment, does it recommend every so many miles or what does it recommend?

Now based on Wikipedia here, I see the main disadvantage of synthetic for me right now, it says for break-in it may not be the best... How long is this on my Civic?
What REALLY interests me is Consumer Reports' findings that it makes no difference, so I guess that above all will keep me with regular...

But the main thing I was wanting to know is when I need to change it. I was planning when I got around 10-15% but does it need to be sooner than what this gauge is telling me?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 AM
HCF Member

Change your oil every 3 thousand miles and you got nothing to worry about, its a proven fact that it works. I wish I could change the oil my self but the land lord is a grumpy old man so I have to go to the shops and have them put their oil in it.
It should say in your User Manual what type of oil to use though, it doesn't have to be Honda oil it just has to meet the standards recommended by the manufacturer and the standars are in your User Manual for sure.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM
HCF Member

The 2006 Civic Sedan manual says just to replace it by 0%. However when the guage gets down to 15% it comes on and stays on each time you start the car until you manually change it back to the trip odometer. Since I get tired of changing it each time, I generally change oil at about 15% or 6000 to 7000 miles with the way I drive.

I found the Consumer Reports article interesting also. I think it basically showed that oil is oil. When changed regularly they all work. I have my oil changed at the local Honda dealer where I bought the car. I have never asked what brand of oil they use.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 PM

Yeah I wasn't sure about his car I have the Si and it uses synthetic.

Also for those that are purchasing new Hondas, Honda puts an additive in their oil and you are not supposed to change your oil till you reach a certain mileage, cant remember what it was though. I found this out when I took my car to Honda for my second oil change, told the tech that was my second and wasn't time for my first. Supposed to help make engine last longer or something.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Just changed the oil...

Used regular, didn't go synthetic.

Friend of mine (has an 08 Accord) was told 4,000 miles the first time, and 3200-3400 after that, and don't go by the meter.
I guess right now I am wondering what the point of the meter is...

Quick Reply: 2007 Civic- Oil Meter/Type of Oil?