General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2007 Civic- Oil Meter/Type of Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2007 Civic- Oil Meter/Type of Oil?

If you don't go by the meter and change at 3000 miles, the person doing the oil change makes more money. My Honda dealer suggests 3000 mile changes also, but still says "thanks" after 6000-7000 miles. If you change according to the meter your warranty will be honored and that is what counts for me. Why does everyone think they know more about their car than the engineers who designed it?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Stinky Administrator

well gene not to be an a$$ but everyone i know changes their oil at 3.000-4.000 miles and all of them are driving cars with over 150.000 miles. i know what the manual says but you should see the threads about first oil changes on 8th gen alot of them have metal shavings in the oil now imagine that going on for 7.000+ miles. my 07 sedan has a little over 4.000 miles and its getting its first change tuesday. and no i don't say i know more that a engineer i'm just going to do what ive always done to my cars oil changes every 3.000 miles never had any problems

Old 04-07-2008, 03:53 AM

Here we go again!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

Lol we all have our own opinion and have gone through different experiences with oils. So wheneever someone asks we all give our opinions based on our own experiences

Old 04-07-2008, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

ORIGINAL: 06Si

I personally change mine around 20%, and syn. does offer more protection along with the fact that is probably what is recommended from manufactorer.

The meter does not read the oil, it takes into consideration several variables and determines what the percentage is.
The Owner's Manual for the Honda Civic Sedan recommends Honda motoroil. It says you may use synthetic if it meets the same standards as the recommended oil. It further states to use the same change interval for oil and filter as for Honda motor oil. If you like spending more for your oil then buy synthetic.I can't imagine Honda recommending an oil that offers less protection for their cars.
I don't think Honda makes their motor oil, - I think they repackage it. Honda Oil filters suck too. When I just did my 1st oil change I took off a Genuine Honda Oil Filter which was smaller sized than any of my oil filter wrenches. Way tinier than a Pure One or Walmart Supertech Oil Filter. So aftermarket oil filters such as these should be better than Honda's because they are larger / supposedly have more filtration + less pressure loss [a guess].

Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Jesse69

ORIGINAL: Gene J

ORIGINAL: 06Si

I personally change mine around 20%, and syn. does offer more protection along with the fact that is probably what is recommended from manufactorer.

The meter does not read the oil, it takes into consideration several variables and determines what the percentage is.
The Owner's Manual for the Honda Civic Sedan recommends Honda motoroil. It says you may use synthetic if it meets the same standards as the recommended oil. It further states to use the same change interval for oil and filter as for Honda motor oil. If you like spending more for your oil then buy synthetic.I can't imagine Honda recommending an oil that offers less protection for their cars.
I don't think Honda makes their motor oil, - I think they repackage it. Honda Oil filters suck too. When I just did my 1st oil change I took off a Genuine Honda Oil Filter which was smaller sized than any of my oil filter wrenches. Way tinier than a Pure One or Walmart Supertech Oil Filter. So aftermarket oil filters such as these should be better than Honda's because they are larger / supposedly have more filtration + less pressure loss [a guess].
Lol you a honda owner should know that bigger isnt better, Its all in the design

Old 04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

Common' guys, [sm=icon_rtfm.gif] Oil change intervals depend on how you drive your car. There are two charts in the manual for service times, one called severe conditions(3,750 miles or 6 months, whatever comes first) or Normal conditions (7,500 miles or 12 months, whatever comes first) Synthetic oil is up to you.

That is out of the manual. If you want my opinion I would go 3k miles if you drive on the severe conditions and 7k miles if you drive the normal conditions and I like synthetic oil because of the fact that it can last longer and a few companies and researches have claimed it to free up a little more power. (I am currently running Valvoline Max Power full syn. but my next change is going to be Royal purple full syn 5W-30)

Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
HCF Member

Is that from the 2007 Civic manual? From what I've heard from people who own it, it doesn't say any interval because you're supposed to use the meter.

Changing the oil 1000 mile later or thereabouts won't damage your car... only if you neglect it and not change it for a long time. People tend to be very paranoid and understandably so. But oil change intervals, I think, get overexposure and puts fear into people.

You can read the consumer reports article about the NY taxis that were subjected to a test... cars that changed oil every 3000 miles versus 5000 miles (don't quote me on the exact number) and the engine wear was virtually identical. This was a while back. Technology has gotten much better and oil has become better too.

It's OK, don't worry so much.