General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

3rd Gen Civic

Old 06-13-2009, 10:11 PM

that sucks, my civic has a little bit of frame damage to it, when you look at it from the front, the driver sides looks droopy, I think whoever owned it before me may have a deer or something because it's not just the hood area, the entire driver side of the car looks like it leans forward & to the left lol.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:17 PM

I just bought an 86 Civic sedan that was in storage for 12 years. It has 41,000 miles. I'll have to post some pics. I have a problem with the air valve assembly. When it was taken out of storage, the carburetor was blown out and the small vacuum line on the top of the air valve- right behind the pcv valve..was snapped off. They filled it with weld. The bottom hose is ok. The car will idle higher than normal in neutral and be sluggish when cold. Is this part called an iac valve? It is number 17332-peo-003. Where can I get it? Thanks.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Default Another new guy

And here I thought I was the only one. I just got back into a Civic (after 15 yrs); it's an '86 Hatchback Si. Zippy, fun to drive, I want to drop it an inch or two and get some spidery-looking wheels for it. On that, does anybody have a good starting point regarding lowering the front of this car? I haven't really looked at it yet (overworked at the moment; haven't even had a chance to pick up a manual for it), but the aftermarket spring suppliers are listing this car as "rear adjustable spring only." Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from the crowd.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 PM

nice 86, i have an 87, never been in an accident and under 101,000 miles, but def does not go 0-60 in 7 seconds

Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM

im soon to be a proud owner of a 86 honda civic sedan 1.5L carbed, light blue 5-speed. 120k miles and this thing is mint, a california car wit aloot of life left in it. The person im buying it off of if going to do a tune up on it and clean the carb for me. He started the thing up wit only 2 spark plug wires on it and it ran like a champ (it was only for like 5seconds to move it out of the garage). But thats a sign of a beast. Its going to be my DD and winter car. =] ill be a regular if anything goes wrong, which im hoping not.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by eggroll
And here I thought I was the only one. I just got back into a Civic (after 15 yrs); it's an '86 Hatchback Si. Zippy, fun to drive, I want to drop it an inch or two and get some spidery-looking wheels for it. On that, does anybody have a good starting point regarding lowering the front of this car? I haven't really looked at it yet (overworked at the moment; haven't even had a chance to pick up a manual for it), but the aftermarket spring suppliers are listing this car as "rear adjustable spring only." Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from the crowd.
Hi mate,

Your civic has a torsion bar set up at the front and springs at the rear. As you have said there are lots of aftermarket springs for the rear, but not alot available for the front (though there may be more over in the states with you).

The springs normally come with either a 30mm or 40mm drop, as for the front end you there are 2 methods of lowering your car. There are 2 bolts located underneath your torsion bar in the same place on either side. When you turn these your car should drop to around a max of 30mm. The other way is to remove the torsion bar itself and turn it around. Reinserting the torsion bar turned will cause your car to have a dramatic drop in height, and if you adjust the bolts i mentioned before you can literally drop it by 2 or 3 inches.

I would advise that if you're going to start playing around with the suspension that you by replacement shocks all round. Tokico's have a very good following among these cars. They have 2 different types; Blues and Iluminas. The blues are good if you are just turning the bolts, the iluminas are good for dumping the car to the floor (as the are fully damper and height adjustable). Mine is running Blues but i plan to change to iluminas very shortly.

These cars are amazing, i've owned my GT (Si) for about 5 years now. They are quick and cheap to run, and if you set them up right can be a terrific handling car. As for the 7-9 secs to 60mph claim, that's not unrealistic. The book time is 8.9 secs but i reckon that with my exhaust, induction kit and lighter wheels mine is running alot better. Remember, after all they are extremely light in the fist instance. 100bhp in a car that weighs as much as a paper bag goes along way. So taking the weight down even more just makes it even more fun.

Phew.... sorry about the long first post

Old 02-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Thanks, civic.gt. Don't apologize; I'll take all the info I can get!
I did some looking into it myself (via Haynes manual) and saw the front torsion spring adjustment. My only concern with that is the possible reduction of front end support, or are the adjusting bolts strictly for height adjustment and have nothing to do with actual spring tension? Actually, while just sitting here thinking about it, I may have figured it out. Hmmm...

So tell me, what are you using for induction? Is it aftermarket? Is it still an available-type item? So many questions, guess it's my turn to apologize.

BTW; I love this car. I get a lot of thumbs up from the othyer guys, it's pretty cool.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Does anyone happen to know where I can get body or performance add on's for my 86 Civic Si? I got this very cheaply and is a blast to drive. Would like to add a few things to it thou.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 AM

Another 3G Sedan here!
A 1984 unit.

And your Ladies, still around ?

Old 09-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Default AK Civic

What's up everyone proud owner of an 87 Civic Sedan 1.5L Carb I thought I was the only one but man it feels good to know there are more of these zombie cars running around out there LoL currently I've been wanting to do handling before I go performance and advice would be great thanks in advance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Civic