General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

4th gear high rpm grind? WHAT FLUID TO USE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:08 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation 4th gear high rpm grind? WHAT FLUID TO USE?

my 4th gear has problems goin in smoothly at a higher rpm, at 50 or 60kmh is i nessle her in its goes fine, but at like 100kmh it grinds a bit, so im wondering, in a ys1 tranny what oil do i use? 5w30? and is gm synchromesh friction modified the same 5w30? what other synchromesh friction modified oils are out there that are compatible? thanks guys merry christmas

SORRY FOR THE RE-POST, but i need an answer asap, thanks

Old 12-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Honda Manual Transmission Fluid is the obvious first choice. When using motor oil in the transmission I think it's supposed to be 10W40. Don't use heavy gear oil but 30 weight is too light.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:31 AM
HCF Member

but does honda mtf have synchromesh? can i use gm synchromesh friction modified? or pensoil friction modified? in the 10w40

basically what i am asking is what are the best synchromesh friction modified tranny oils i can use in my ys1?

pennzoil?
gm?
amsoil?

thanks

Last edited by theRDRman; 12-25-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

BUMP- hope everyones christmas rocked

Old 12-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Google it, man. What you are looking for is "friction modifier" not "synchromesh".

Bottom line is once the metal is worn away, no miracle in a can will bring it back.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

the metal isnt "worn away" i think i need a little clutch adjustment, but what is a good friction modifier tranny oil? i need to know what other brands there are other than gm plz help me

CAN MY CAR RUN: amsoil synthetic synchromesh w friction modifiers?

Last edited by theRDRman; 12-25-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you mean this:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Amsoil recommends that fluid for most Honda manuals except those with a limited slip differential. Did you ever determine if you have one or not?

Adjusting the clutch is real easy. It would affect all shifts though not just 4th gear.

Last edited by mk378; 12-26-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

no i dont not have an lsd, i am planning on getting some acdelco friction modified (gm) yeah i just dont wanna hurt my tranny cus i can tell its been drivin hard and i dont drive it like that

Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by theRDRman
the metal isnt "worn away"
The noise associated with grinding gears is spinning metal on stationary metal. Literally every time you grind a gear you're taking metal off something.

You'll know if your clutch needs adjusted, too. Get in the car, start it up, put it in 1st, and slowly let off the clutch without touching the gas. Did the car start moving halfway through the clutch pedal travel? It doesn't need adjusted. Generally speaking, when a clutch's (dis-)engagement area is when the pedal first comes off the floor or when the pedal is almost all the way out, the clutch needs adjusted. If the clutch starts grabbing roughly halfway through the pedal travel, you're fine and the clutch isn't the issue.

If it's only 4th gear that's grinding then I'd recommend shifting to 5th a little earlier because it isn't your clutch or transmission fluid that's the issue.

*edit: I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to not shift halfway to redline. If I'm not mistaken, 60kmh puts you right under 3,000rpm; just shift then.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by theRDRman
the metal isnt "worn away"
Yes metal is worn away. Your 4th gear syncro teeth wont grow back by themselves. This is why your input/output shafts arent syncing up smoothly when you shift harshly. Like I said in your previous identical thread, GM syncromesh FM is a band aid for the inevitable....trans rebuild.

Honda MTF does not have the friction modifiers like the GM stuff does....hence the reason why people will use GM fluid. I know GM also makes a non FM formula so you need to be careful what you're buying.

Quick Reply: 4th gear high rpm grind? WHAT FLUID TO USE?