General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

79 Civic Build. Something.... Different.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Default 79 Civic Build. Something.... Different.

first, id like to start off with this should be moved to the project section... i think it more than qualifys... but it wont let me create this thread in there... so if a mod would move it, much appreciated! ive read the rules, dont worry.

so, i just want to say. i am a suby loyalist. My life is dedicated to my subarus. I own a subaru only car club out of the columbia gorge, (our link is in my sig)I truley believe they are the best cars made, and my garage/driveway will never be subaru less. But i have a great love for all cars, and i have a strange attraction for some older unique metal. and they are about the only other cars i will ever bring my self to own. and well this.... this is one of those attractions im in love with. Its quite the project, turns a lot of heads, and gets a lot of attention in many ways... some bad, but most are very positive.i have it posted on several other forums. i figured i might as well bring it here too. So with out to much more BS... gonna catch you guys up whats been going over over the last year ive had this car. and i tend to write a lot, but if you guys actaully read it, it will prob answer any questions you have.
so a little about the car.
its a 1979 Honda Civic. 1st generation of civics. (73-79)
my goals were pretty simple. boosted, fuel injected,ditching thecarb'd motor, running at least 11's in the quarter mile. and give it a little bit of a custom body styling.

This is pretty interesting... Its the Current Build Cost.

Car = $200
new windshield = $60
Gas to haul it home = $40
front bumper(1st) = $0
Front bumper (2nd) = $0
Front bumper (3rd) = $0
Legacy Dash = $0
Rear Bumper = $0
Rattle Can Primer = $20
Motor/Tranny = $0
engine cleaner to clean up the motor = $5
Fabric paint for door panels = $5
Sold Stock Motor/Tranny = +$200
Sold Stock Bumpers = +120
Coil Spring Suspension = $45
Expanding Foam = $17

Total so far= $72

(wasted some where between 100-200 dollars in all the fiberglass)

Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Default RE: 79 Civic Build. Something.... Different.

I bought this car march 11th, 2007 for 200 bucks. This is how it sat when i unloaded it off the trailer.

after a little tear down i started getting ready to pull the stock motor, and take it down to my shop. which by the way stock motor is a 1.2L with a max HP of about 50... lol yes 50. top speed 80 MPH!!! 1/4 mile in prob a good20+ seconds haha.

The new motor i got for free. D16 out of a 89 integ. doubling the horse power of this car just from the stock motor swap... not my choice of motor... but it was free. not gonna complain.

Pulled the stock motor, and started test fitting the D16

one thing i wanted to do was make a fiberglass dash to lighten it up some. and so it would be easy to do things to it, like putting int switches, or gauges or whatever else. to make it easy i was just going to mold it off the stock dash. then id also have the stock dash to sell.

okay so big jump threwtimehere,i made a lot of progress on it. got it all primered, the cracked and broken windshield removed. the engine bay hacked up and bent and made room for the d16 to fit in part of the new dash made, and some more. so while i was cleaning out the shop one day to make more room for more carsi took some pics while it was sitting out side in some good light.

sitting out by the dumpster where it belongs!! lol jk.

soi keep working on the dash,here itis mostly finished... still pretty ruff, you can see a lot of flaws in it. but it came quite a ways. and yes i used the original gauge cluster part and air vents molded into it. Seemed like a good idea at the time... but i wasnt thinking very clearly i guess.

New windshield i bought for 40 bucks!

Sneaky Peak!

So... That was all pretty straight foward... So this is where it gotreally interesting for a while (plans changed). Well i wanted to build a custom body kit from scratch. not something super ricey looking, just some pretty custom, make people go wtf is that. Throw some brains around for a while.

So at first i picked up this bumper of a 04 Subaru Forester from a friends body shop (free of course). This is it pictured on my GF's 79 civic project im workin on as well. if anyone is interested, ill post some more pics of it too.(she is what sparked the inspiration of this project (dont worry her daily driver is a 02 wrx wagon thanks to me lol))

So after some cutting... hackin it into 4 pieces, and a few layers of fiberglass later.... This was the result

not even close to finished, but that was far enough for me to not like it any more....

so i then decided to work on the rear bumper since the front was a failure.

used a 2005 honda civic EX coupe rear bumper. Also Free from my friends body shop

So there is it finished from the front view.. the sides were not finished yet, they came later.but after finishing the rear bumper. (for some reason i dont have pics, im sorry i dunno why.)i experimented with a few new front bumpers... tried one off i think it mighta been a cavalier. not sure, tried a 98 legacy GT bumper, and finally settled on this 05 scion TC bumper.

Starting to come together, getting closer to finished, just needed a lot of sanding, specially on that side.

So after getting that far, i figured out my problem. and why i didnt like any of it... because it just totally was NOT the style or look i was going for... wasnt anything but a big waste of time and money. So while i thought about what i was going to do, i switched gears. And decided to start tearing down the motor, for its High HP goal in mind rebuild.

Its sad this little 4 banger is gonna eat my build v8 ALIVE! down the track and in gas millage! geezz....

So long boring story short... empty block now.

anyway. last trip i made to my friends collision repair shop, (when i picked up the tc bumper) i also picked up this beauty. a 2006 Subaru Legacy dash.

so after removing the air bag, chopping it up to fit in this tiny car, here it is.

[b]and as luck would have it, its even lighter weight than my fiberglass dash. to fix ill apply one thing layer of fiberglass over it to fix all the cuts and holes, and then wrap it in a vinyl probably to give the whole t

Old 02-05-2008, 04:37 AM

wtf

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 AM

wtf kind of a response is "wtf"[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 05:33 AM
HCF Member

wow! what an interesting project bro cant wait to see it all finished.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

now thats what im talking about, we need more custopm projects like this on HCF +1

Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 AM
HCF Member

Different is correct... I was thinking YES!!! then i saw the new bumper, and am not so sure... good luck i will make my final verdict when it's done

Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 AM

which new bumper did you like, and not like? ive got 3 pictured.... just curious. ill get updated pics asap i promise. im jsut super busy with all my bull**** going on right now and my new little baby girl so i dont get to spend as much time with all my cars now days.

i guess i never really explained the motor hopes either...

long term goal is going to be 20 PSI boost, and around 350whp. that should very easily put me in the 11's with out a doubt. but ill have it running on a stock low boosted motor before my race motor is fully built. so short term goal, stock internal motor running around 10 psi. should still be a screamer in the 13 second range killing sti's and evo's

Old 02-05-2008, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

To be honest, if I had the talent and knowhow to do this type of project.. My very first goal would be to make the car look as much as possible like anoriginal showroom condition 79 Civic, ugly bumpers and all, otherwise why have a 79 body?You don't see many on the road after all.Then one can surprise the bejeebus out of everybody with the updated powerhouse in the beast. It's like that fellow who had a 400HP four-banger in a decrepit-looking 89 Civic, THAT is impressive!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:46 AM
HCF Member

wow .. props to all your hard work... goodluck with the project !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 79 Civic Build. Something.... Different.