General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

93' Honda Civic CX 1.5L SparkPlug/Distributor Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Default 93' Honda Civic CX 1.5L SparkPlug/Distributor Change

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I have owned this civic for about 5 years now and I have literally never done any maintenance on it myself. I recently failed an e-test and started reading into my car more. Little did I know how reliable and amazing civics actually are.. The way I been treating her.. if it were any other car, I am sure it would have died a long *** time ago. Thank god its a Civic. anyways let me get to it..Like the title says.. I got a 1.5L 16 valve engine. I don't know the number because I was too lazy and it was too dark to jump on my back on the street and fish for the actual motor number.

I want to know what I should buy for spark plugs and a distributor.. I am willing to pay the extra 10 bucks for any noticeable performance enhancements..Also, maybe even the regular run of the mill average stuff would be cool so I could compare differences..

This could be a matter of opinion, but I will go with the most notable and reviewed products. Could you guys let me know? Thanks alot.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Replace the cap and rotor not the whole distributor. The base of the distributor needs replacement only when it fails (CEL codes, or oil leakage). Also replace the spark wires. Use stock parts all around here. A lot of the third party replacements are absolute crap, especially the wires.

For plugs go with the stock NGK "V-Power" type. They're cheap and last quite a while. Expensive plugs will not increase the performance of your engine by one iota. It's all hype. All you get with platinum, etc. is longer life of the plug. That might be worth paying extra for if you're having to pay someone to install them every time. But if labor is free just use conventional plugs and replace every 30,000 miles.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Replace the cap and rotor not the whole distributor. The base of the distributor needs replacement only when it fails (CEL codes, or oil leakage). Also replace the spark wires. Use stock parts all around here. A lot of the third party replacements are absolute crap, especially the wires.

For plugs go with the stock NGK "V-Power" type. They're cheap and last quite a while. Expensive plugs will not increase the performance of your engine by one iota. It's all hype. All you get with platinum, etc. is longer life of the plug. That might be worth paying extra for if you're having to pay someone to install them every time. But if labor is free just use conventional plugs and replace every 30,000 miles.
Thanks for your response. So when I go to my local auto-parts store, just ask for the distributor cap and rotor and whatever they have in stock is good enough? Don't have to be a specific type. Also if they don't got the NGK Vpower type.. does it rly matter what ones I get? I might just have to get whatever they have..