General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

95 Civic Power steering HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:55 PM
HCF Member
Default 95 Civic Power steering HELP

I have a 1995 Honda Civic DX ..

I have recently aquired a powersteering leak , once a week i need to put a bottle of honda fluid in .....

It looks to be leaking from the steering rack but not 100% sure , i plan on takin it to a shop what is the average cost to having the rack done ???

Is there anything else i should check that could possibly be leaking , the pump is not for sure !!

Thanks in advance !!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 PM
HCF Member

have you checked the simple stuff like the clamps and hose?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Leaking from the end seals of the steering rack is quite common. Are the rubber boots torn? Is fluid dripping from the boots? If so, the rack needs to be replaced. This is a job I recently did on my 00 Civic. A rebuilt rack cost me $270 at O'Reilly, and the job was very labor intensive, which translates into expensive if a mechanic does the work.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by that_guy5
have you checked the simple stuff like the clamps and hose?

Im not to mechanicaly sabby , i just took a quick look underneath and the fluid is all over the driver side boot ....

I did notice clamps on the end of the boot , is that what ur talkin about ?
Do they come loose ?

My civic has 114k miles , and i do not think the boot was torn ...

I will get under it tomorrow morning and take a good hard look , is there anything in particular part or place i should be looking ?

Should i try tightening the clamp ?

AS I SAID BEFORE IM NOT A GREAT MECHANIC , SO I THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP !!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If fluid is leaking from either boot of the steering rack, then the end seal is bad. Replacing the boot or the boot clamp is not a fix. The rack would need to be replaced.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:46 AM

unlike other steering systems like rack and pinion and other steering sytems(ummmmmm cant remember allo them)use mechanichal effort from the steering wheel to cause the longitudinal movement of the tie rod which in turn actuates the angular movement of the king pin accordingly turning the vehichle to a desired degree
all these events use up the effort made by the driver on the steering wheel. this is ofcourse cumbersome to the driver

Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

Originally Posted by andrew65
unlike other steering systems like rack and pinion and other steering sytems(ummmmmm cant remember allo them)use mechanichal effort from the steering wheel to cause the longitudinal movement of the tie rod which in turn actuates the angular movement of the king pin accordingly turning the vehichle to a desired degree
all these events use up the effort made by the driver on the steering wheel. this is ofcourse cumbersome to the driver

has absolutely nothing to do with anything the OP asked.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

i say go with no power steering...get a little work out while driving...no but seriously its not that big of a difference.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:23 AM

YO I RECENTLY HAD TO REPLACE MY POWER STEERING GONNA COST AROUND 250 to 300 depends if you can find the parts yourself

Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 AM

you have to take it to the shop, 1 bottle of power steering fluid a week can cost you a lot than to get it repaired.

Quick Reply: 95 Civic Power steering HELP