General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

95 Honda Civic Hatchback...How much is this worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Default 95 Honda Civic Hatchback...How much is this worth?

Hi guys,

I have a 95 Honda Civic DX Hatchback with 216,000 miles on it. It has ran great for me up until now...2 days ago it broke down on me on my way home from work. I'm not a car guy at all, but I had to have it toed to CarX. They told me that it needs a new starter and that it is leaking oil. The oil part I knew somewhat because I had been checking it every 2 weeks or so...I had recently noticed the oil light coming on way more recently though. However, I drove it (attempted to) home and almost got there before it completely died on me. I had no idea what the problem was as it wouldn't start.

Now...my question is this. A car technician at CarX offered to buy the car for $250. I think this is ridiculous as he probably just wants to fix it and make a profit off of it. He thinks it's not worth it for me to get it fixed. (They told me it would be about $400 for a new starter). My problem is I don't know much about cars and I don't want to get ripped off. Should I get this fixed? Should I just try to sell it AS IS? (I would have to get it toed to my house...right now it's still at the shop)...I mean, $250 just seems absurd. Blue Book value (even with 216,000 miles on it) while it ran was still 2 grand. In terms of the car before it broke down on me...there wasn't really anything wrong with it. The A/C worked, it ran great...and got 35 miles/gallon. It's such a shame that it just broke down. I thought the thing would keep on running.

Any suggestions? Just get $250 for it? Get it fixed? Try to sell as is?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: 95 Honda Civic Hatchback...How much is this worth?

Yea, 250 is low. The low ball you just to turn profit, like you said. Is the body in good shape?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 PM

Body is in great shape. Not a single dent really. The hood has some paint scraping but that's about it.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Its really hard to sell a car thats not running...

It you like the car, and have always kept it in good shape, Id just pay the $400 to get it fixed amd keep driving it...mind you it might need other repairs down the road due to mileage and age, but thats the same with any other used car you would get to replace it, unless you buy something much newer...

$250 is a joke...ifyou dont like Carx, askyour friends for local garage recomendations, and bring it (have it towed) to an independant mechanic...

Then once its fixedyou can sell it running and AS IS is for much more than you would get for it currently, ie not running...Jan/Feb is a slow time to buy/sell a car, youcould get more for it in the summer...

Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
HCF Member

A starter motor is roughly $100 (US) and a matter of a couple bolts and a cable connection.

I bought my '95 VX with 192,000 and a blown head gasket and gave the guy $800, since the rest of the car was in good shape. I don't see why you can't get $1000 or more once it's running.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
HCF Member

if you want to sell please let me know im very interested, yes he was lowballing is it auto or stick, whats the engine code and where are you located

Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 PM

it's an auto...i'm in cincinnati, oh. what do you mean by engine code? thanks

Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

o then nvm im all the way in cali looking for a stick but the engine code is the engine number for example i have and 03 lx the engine code is d17a1

Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: rock15478

(They told me it would be about $400 for a new starter).

Ridiculous total ripped off..$400 for a starter that is a good one...Slap that Beatch

Old 01-26-2008, 09:54 AM

You can find a good motor for that thing for around $500...find somebody to drop it in for you. You will have to replace the rear main seal, distributor, water pump, timing belt, etc, etc....Slap the crap out of the dude who offered you that little for that car. My guess is you can have that baby up and going and running like a champ for around $1000. It sure beats the hell out of a car payment every month. I have a 1992 honda civic h/b dx...I feel you and know what you are going through. I purchased my motor through enginesus on ebay. They have sold a few thousand motors and have a 100% positive feedback...I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 95 Honda Civic Hatchback...How much is this worth?