General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

99civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Default 99civic

i having a hard time starting, it's not the battery. honda digenostic check says it's the distrubtor and will cost about 775.00 including digenostic check.some one else looked at it and after playing with the fuses (Fuel pump)thinks it's the fuel pump relay. Does any body have any thoughts about this or has anybody experianced a problem like this.What would be the cost for distrubtor and is it possible too purchase a used one, is there somewhere i can purchase the distribtor at a discount, fuel pump relay i'm told is only 35.00.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the CEL is ON, retrieve the code(s) from the ECU as detailed at the link in my signature. Post the codes for more feedback.

When you turn the ignition key to ON (II) without cranking the engine, do you hear the low humming sound of the fuel pump for a few seconds in the rear when the engine won't start. If not, the main relay could be the problem.

Do you see bright spark from each plug? If not, then you may have a distributor problem (or the timing belt snapped).

Last edited by RonJ; 10-03-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:49 AM

thanks i appreicate any help, i will let you know when i have access too the car.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 AM
HCF Member

How many miles are on your car?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:10 AM

dang, it'd be cheaper to just buy an MSD distributor kit/external coil than it would be to replace the distributor, if they're really charging $775

anyway, i'd just buy the distributor and do it yourself. It's realllllllllllllly easy.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by shatowncivic
how many miles are on your car?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

By the way, in general, the entire distributor assembly only needs to be replaced if one of three sensors goes bad, which is typically indicated by a CEL code. If you don't have a bad sensor, then the coil or ICM is probably the culprit for the lack of spark. As others have mentioned, you can do any of these distributor jobs yourself and save a lot of money (for reference, see the 96-00 manual at the link in my signature).

Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
dang, it'd be cheaper to just buy an MSD distributor kit/external coil than it would be to replace the distributor, if they're really charging $775

anyway, i'd just buy the distributor and do it yourself. It's realllllllllllllly easy.
any suggestions on where i could get instructions

Old 10-04-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by rdedilectis
any suggestions on where i could get instructions
Nevermind, if one of the sensors is bad that RonJ mentioned, i don't think the MSD kit will fix your problem.
If the sensors aren't bad, as RonJ mentioned, you'll only need to replace the coil or ICM, which will be cheap compared to an MSD setup.

Instructions for replacing distributor are in the link in RonJ's signature. You can download your car's entire service manual for free.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 AM
gwl
HCF Member

775 dollars for a diag and distributor, something is not right. I had a 90 Accord with distributor problem, the dealer replaced it twice for free even though it was out of warranty. At 64,000 miles, the dist. should last a lot longer than that.

Quick Reply: 99civic