General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

About to pull the trigger, need advice!:-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Default About to pull the trigger, need advice!:-)

Hi All!

Here's the situation: The dealer says I can have a new 2012 Honda Civic ex v-tec *OUT THE DOOR* for $22,750.00. Please tell me, on a scale of one to ten (with ten being GREAT for me!) where would you rate his offer?

He wants me to do this today ... and so I REALLY need to get feedback ASAP.

The car has a sun/moon roof and has about everything (as far as I can tell) except for leather seats. It's an automatic and it's beautiful!!

My only gripe is that he says the coupes won't be in for another two or three months (because of the recent disaster in Japan) so I'll settle for a sedan.

Btw, the car also has that cool Eco button.

Thanks a million!!!

AlvinTostig

Last edited by AlvinTostig; 04-28-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Brother. 23 people look at my desperate plea for help and no one cares.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

I'd give it a 1.

You never stated who the car is for or how many will be driving it, but for $22k you can get, IMO, a lot more for less or spend just a few more and get a ton more.

I don't know your opinion on older cars or other styles, but if I had 22k to spend this is my list, just pick any:

-09/10 370z, get them around $27k
-01-05 S2000, anywhere from 10-15k
-300zx, under 10k
-Mid 90's NSX, 30k
-Gen 2 Viper, 30k
-05 or older STI, under 25k
-Any year RX7

You have a lot of options if you have $22k to spend, I just think if you want a newer car you could buy a used late model or wait for a used version.

I don't think I'd ever buy a car with a brand new price tag.

If you're going to buy a new car I would definitely get what I want and not settle for less. You want a coupe, wait for it.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

Are there other dealers around that sell Hondas? I'm trying to figure out why you want a BRAND NEW Civic(2012) when you can get a 2011 for thousands less. You can get a 2012 car but next year it'll be outdated & you'll wanna trade that in, and may pay more.

IMO....I would get a Civic a couple years old(2010, 2009) and save myself some money..because what if you want to add a different header or air intake..or tint your windows darker...you'll have the saved money to get those.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM
HCF Member

buying brand new is ignorant. you can buy the exact same car with 20,000 on it from 2011 and it will cost thousands less.

If you're dead set on a civic.... why not (at least) get an SI?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
HCF Member

almost 23K seems a bit high to me. I agree with the others. Don't buy new.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
I'd give it a 1.

You never stated who the car is for or how many will be driving it, but for $22k you can get, IMO, a lot more for less or spend just a few more and get a ton more.

I don't know your opinion on older cars or other styles, but if I had 22k to spend this is my list, just pick any:

-09/10 370z, get them around $27k
-01-05 S2000, anywhere from 10-15k
-300zx, under 10k
-Mid 90's NSX, 30k
-Gen 2 Viper, 30k
-05 or older STI, under 25k
-Any year RX7

You have a lot of options if you have $22k to spend, I just think if you want a newer car you could buy a used late model or wait for a used version.

I don't think I'd ever buy a car with a brand new price tag.

If you're going to buy a new car I would definitely get what I want and not settle for less. You want a coupe, wait for it.
Thanks Much for the reply!

As it happened, I didn't buy the car after all. I told the saleslady that I very much like the coupe (after seeing on the Internet that it existed) and would rather wait for it. She told (after looking to the possibility getting me into a coupe) that she in fact didn't know when they'd be in. She wanted very much for me to take the sedan off her hands for the price stated; but like I told her, I'm an old man at 56 and could easily drop dead at any minute, thus I really want to make sure I get a car that I REALLY like (and a stodgy 4-door isn't it).

I called another place out of state for an OTD price of the 4-door just to see if her offer on it was as wonderful as she indicated. It wasn't that great after all.

Btw, the guy at the out of state dealership said that the coupe in this model is quite a bit more. He was as surprised by that as I was.

I'll just try and be patient with all of this and hope it all works out. Thanks again for taking the time!!

P.S. Those cars you mentioned I'm sure are nice, but for me I'd like to get something that gets great mileage and is brand new and a little sporty.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
Are there other dealers around that sell Hondas? I'm trying to figure out why you want a BRAND NEW Civic(2012) when you can get a 2011 for thousands less. You can get a 2012 car but next year it'll be outdated & you'll wanna trade that in, and may pay more.

IMO....I would get a Civic a couple years old(2010, 2009) and save myself some money..because what if you want to add a different header or air intake..or tint your windows darker...you'll have the saved money to get those.
I am okay with getting a 2011 or maybe even a '10 as long as it's new with no miles.

Like I told the other fellow, I just want something really nice because for a very, very long time I've been without a car. And since I have a little dough now I'd like to have the fun a new vehicle offers before I have the Big H.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shandles
buying brand new is ignorant. you can buy the exact same car with 20,000 on it from 2011 and it will cost thousands less.

If you're dead set on a civic.... why not (at least) get an SI?
The SI sucks up the fuel too much and, besides, the speed limit is no more than 70 so a sweet gas-sipper is what I'd like (though not a hybrid).

There's another dealer that was trying to get me interested in a 2010 Mazda 3 recently for $21,000 OTD with no miles. And I almost went for that because it was a "great" deal. But things happened where I had to drop my Kaw KLR off in another town for some maintenance work, and right across from them was a Honda (car) dealership. So that was when I saw that for only $1,500 more I could get a sweet Honda Civic two years newer, no less!

I did test-drove the Mazda and it was sweet; air, sunroof, etc. but no leather.

Btw, I asked this Honda sales gal if getting leather was way better, wondering if it last way longer than cloth and she said it didn't. Hmm I wonder if she was BSing me (so as to get me into going for the sedan)?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by imadvanced
almost 23K seems a bit high to me. I agree with the others. Don't buy new.
Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it!

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger, need advice!:-)