General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ac compressor knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Default ac compressor knocking sound

Hi, just new in this site. I have a 1996 civic/LX with regular motor and I heard that there was a knocking sound when the ac compressor pulley was running. May be the bearing is the problem? Do I need to replaced the compressor? What other parts that I need to replace when replacing the compressor? If you have a step by step instruction that help me a lot due I'm not planning to send it to shop and pay big money, also if you have pics for replacing it, really appreciated, please help. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM

i'd replace all the drive belts while you are in there.
it is also pretty much mandatory that you replace the a/c accumulator/drier (do this last)

it's actually really easy. just a little time consuming
1. pop the hood, jack up the front/jackstands, get tools out, etc.
2. you might have to remove the splashguards
3. untension the belts by adjusting the components they go to. (there are adjustment screws/bolts. The A/C one is on the idler pulley (the pulley on the A/C belt that is by itself. The alternator (only if you are replacing all the drive belts will you need to adjust it) has two bolts that loosen it and then it will pivot to loosen the tension. The power steering pump has adjusting screws that move the pump up and down.
4. remove drive belts (again, alt. belt does not need to be removed if you are not going to replace the alt. belt)
5. drain the a/c system (they say to take it to a shop, but that costs money. it's just like deflating a tire, hold in the pin and drain. don't breathe it in. don't tell the EPA what you just did.)
6. the a/c compressor is held onto the block by 4 bolts, and the a/c lines are each held on by one bolt. remove these bolts.
7. "installation is reverse of removal," make sure to use the new o-rings on the a/c lines if they fit. i was only able to use 1 new o-ring, the other new one was too big.
8. when tensioning the belts, what i do is before i remove the belts, i feel them to figure out what tension should feel like, then i remember that, and try to get it close to that when i put it back together. if you didn't remove the alternator belt, you can just compare the a/c and p/s belts' tensions to the alt. belt tension and try to get them as close to that as possible.
9. next you will remove and replace the accumulator/drier. it's a can by the windshield wiper fluid bucket thing, and i've never removed it but it looks simple. just a couple bolts or so. remove it and replace it with new. Do this quickly, as exposing the drier's insides to air will damage it if you take too long.
10. take your car to the shop once everything is assembled and get the a/c evacuated/recharged. this will cost like $100 and is required.

EDIT: btw, idk if your compressor needs replacing or not.