General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Advancing the Timing Results

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Default Advancing the Timing Results

Ok.... I advanced the timing.... ran premium.... and did it right. So you might be wondering what happend. Right?? Well here it is:

NOTHING much.

I did everything right, tested it, and even did it again. I noticed nothing except for the fact that when I floored it from idle it did something like a little like hesitate, more like it choked for a second and then inued as normal. If anything, I LOST power. So I proceeded to adjust the timing on my own. I adjusted it to what I felt gave it more power, which still wasn't much. so unless I did it wrong, I'm putting it back to the way it was before I did this. I don't want to loose mileage, power or hurt my engine.

I anyone else has done this yet, let me know, maybe I did something wrong (doubt it). I'm not saying don't do it, but every one has their share of trial and error. This one happened to be an error.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advancing the Timing Results

thats strange. ive done this a couple of times, and every time it made a huge difference. oh well.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:55 PM

Did I do something wrong?!?! I really want more power could you tell me EXACTLY what to do again incase you or I missed something.
With the car off, Jump the odb code reader. Hook up a timing light, and turn the car on. The check engine light should come on. set the timing light to 18* and adjust the distributor until the farthest mark on the crank shaft pulley lines up with the mark on the engine block. Then, tighten the distributor up, unhook the timing light, and remove the jumper while the engine is running. Test drive it, and notice a difference. Right. Please let me know. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:10 PM

maybe you advanced it to much, or even decreased it. i did it before and i had very little power gain. i dont know what could have happened.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:49 PM

I also noticed a slight increae. Oh well. I'm putting it back the way it was.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:15 PM

I've got one for you, check this out, my distributor is maxed out turning it counter clockwise which means (advanced)! Ok, my timing marks on the pulley aren't the same as the book shows, I'm missing one white mark! The book says to align the "red" mark, the only way I can do that is to remove the distributor bolts and turn the distributor further than it would normally turn with the bolts in it! When I align it that way it runs like Sh_t, and with it adjusted to the maxed out point with the bolts in it, it runs very rough! Basically my cars running very rough and I can't fix it! Anyone thats a dumbass than myself need not reply!

Old 11-25-2004, 08:20 PM

1994 Honda Civic EX 2 Door, 1.6L V-tec, A.C. Rear Win Defog, Tilt, CD, Amp, 10" Woofs, Power Sunroof, Power Doors, Power Mirrors and Power Windows! Run like SH_T!!!!

Old 11-28-2004, 05:45 PM

what was the point of that post mcbob?

Old 11-28-2004, 05:59 PM

If you'll read the post right above #6, ya know #5, you'll see what my point is!

Old 11-29-2004, 08:50 AM

I guess no one in this forum is mechanically qualified to answer my basic questions, thats cool, I'll try another forum! You guys have fun answering the same simple little questions over and over and over again! Asta!

Quick Reply: Advancing the Timing Results