General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Advice for a bone-stock 2000 SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Default Advice for a bone-stock 2000 SE

Hey there guys, this is my first post.

I've looked around on the search function and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so bear with me.

I just acquired a stock 2000 SE. I have interest in modding it up, but I would say very conservatively. I'm 34 and have NO interest in ricing this car up. It's a daily driver, so 18" rims, engine swaps, turbo installations are nothing I'll be going for.

1.) So I wondered - with one cam and 106 horses, can I really expect anything in the way of a performance upgrade? If I got a CAI and a cat-back exhaust installed by the local muffler shop, am I going to notice anything at all? My mod ideas are on a budget too, so I'd be limited in that regard. I basically wondered for engine mods if I could get 20 horsepower for under $500. If an intake and new pipe won't give me much - what else could I try on a budget? A new cam? Can I stick a new head on there maybe?

2.) I wanted to upgrade the shifter because the stock shifter is WAY too sloppy and I appreciate a more racy driving feel. I looked around and saw bushing sets for $10 and some for $80. Would the $10 set be okay or what? Along with that I wanted a short-shift, and again I see the prices. A Skunk2 is around 80-100, but ebay has no-name ones for $20. It's just a piece of metal - would the no-name do me? I just want slick, precise shifts and don't care about brand names.

3.) The SE looks pretty vanilla and I like the front lip spoiler I see on SiR models. Everywhere I look though, I see $300 racy front lip spoilers that are way more showy than i want. I just want basically a flat lip I can bolt to the bumper, black, that will add a little something up front for a good price. Don't care what it's made of. Any ideas for where I could get an SiR type lip someplace for $50 or so?

4.) I had eye surgery so I want to deactivate the driver side airbag - can it be done?

5.) Finally, rims. I have the 14" stock steels on it now. How big should I go? I won't be getting enormous flashy rims. Just chrome, a conservative 5 or 6 spoke pattern. Are 16" ones too big? How wide a tire can the car handle? I had no plans to lower the car either (wouldn't that cost a lot?) so I wanted something that would look good to the eye but not garner that "oh, it's a ricer" kind of look from people.

That's about all. Thanks for any tips guys. I'm on a budget, so anything that can lower the price of my wants list is very appreciated.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 AM

Welcome to HCF!
1.) You will not notice much of an increase with a simple intake and exhaust. You can look into a staged (1,2, or 3) camshaft. I have a stage 2 camshaft in right now. I may just be used to it by now, but it does not feel any faster.
2.) Not 100% sure on the bushings, but I would stay away from eBay short shifters. Skunk2=steel, eBay=aluminum. However, I bet a few people on here are rockin' the aluminum short shifters without problems. I prefer not to worry about the aluminum breaking while driving.
3.) Maybe something like a "type r" style lip from eBay? Ebay lips should be fine, just maybe a little more work to get them to fit 100%
4.) Honestly, I would never remove any type of protection such as air bags, so I can't really help you on that one.
5a.) Rim size is all a matter of opinion. I feel that 16'' are a little on the big side, and 15'' are perfect. I don't think any bigger than 225's are needed (and that's if the rim can hold a 225). If you do not want a "ricer" look, maybe look out for some si wheels, or gsr blades. Both are Honda/Acura OEM rims.
5b.) Lowering can get to be expensive. I have a 20 way adjustable coilover system. The coilovers themselves cost $550. However, I bet you can find a dropzone suspension system for about $350. Once lowered, you may run into issues such as camber adjustment, so camber kits may be needed (front and rear=about $200). Oh yea, you would want to invest in a lifetime alignment plan if your local shop does that. Everytime you make a suspension adjustment, you will need an alignment.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 05-01-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Default re

Thanks man.

1.) Ok, are there any low-cost steel short-shifters I could get, hopefully an eBay type? Also, can I use my stock boot with these?

2.) If an airbag goes off in my face, I can be blinded. I was hoping I could pull a fuse to keep the damn thing from blowing up and ruining my life.

3.) Does anyone know where I could get a simple "type R" lip for the car?

4.) Strut tower bars - will they actually add anything?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Stratocaster1968
Thanks man.

1.) Ok, are there any low-cost steel short-shifters I could get, hopefully an eBay type? Also, can I use my stock boot with these?

2.) If an airbag goes off in my face, I can be blinded. I was hoping I could pull a fuse to keep the damn thing from blowing up and ruining my life.

3.) Does anyone know where I could get a simple "type R" lip for the car?

4.) Strut tower bars - will they actually add anything?
1.) I wouldn't suggest getting an ebay short shifter they're inconsistent, they rub your exhaust or cat and you might even grind gears, the quality just isn't there. Buy a Skunk2 or B&M with a skunk2 shift ****.

2.) And being dead wouldn't from the air bag not deploying?
(just playing devils advocate)

3.) Option JDM, Password JDM, Ebay

4.) Strut tower bars do work, you'll notice less body flex and roll. Ebay brand is alright to buy.

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 05-01-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Default re

Look, the airbag thing really isn't worth the risk for me. A fender bender could set it off in my face and I could go blind from it. Most of my driving is in town and most driver impacts would be at a "sub death" level. I'd be walking away from the crash with a white cane. I had eye surgery years ago and it weakened my corneas and it's a definite risk for me.

So on that point, if anybody knows of how I can turn it off, please let me know. Yes, I'm aware it means I'm at greater risk of dying.

Edit: Sorry to be clueless, but what does that "option JDM" thing mean? Is that a link or something?

Last edited by Stratocaster1968; 05-01-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

Option JDM is a website

just like Password JDM google it and you'll know what i mean.

Option is canadian
Password is american

I can't help you with the steering wheel. all I can think of is switching it to a JDM one with no airbag.