General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Advice please on first mod...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Default Advice please on first mod...

I just bought an 2001 Civic EX (5sp) and was wondering what is a good mod to start with...I plan to read-up and research a lot on my own, but I dont know where to start...

Id like a mod that is:
1 - Not thatexpensive
2 - I can do myself by following tutorials, as Id like to work on the car myself...

So I am thinking
a - lower the car (what hardware do you need for this - just springs?)
b -installing a brace bar in the engine bay (will this do anything by itself?)
c -other...

This is mydaily driverandIm not looking for anything too hardcore...just subtle improvements to enhance the spirit of the car...

So where do people who are new to this start, or what do most people do first????

Many thanks !

Old 01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advice please on first mod...

new springs/coilovers are going to be harder than strut bars. a strut bar will take less than 10 minutes to install. suspension will take a few hours, but will be a more noticeable upgrade. the strut bars do make a difference, though not as much as springs/coilovers.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

I did my air intake first,you take out the stock airbox and put in a short ram or cold air intake.Pretty easy mod and not very expensive. You can use an ebay intake tube, throw away the filter that comes with it and put on a K&N filter for under $100. Look here if you want some good info--> https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_335102/tm.htm

Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks guys for the comments, I appreciate it, and will check them out including the link...

Anymore comments are welcome, Ive been spending all my time at autopia.org reading-up on detailing, LOL...thenonce the car looks as good as I can make it, I will start on some mod probably...I live in artic tundra so I still have some time before things warm up a bit...thanks again...

Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Personally, I'd save up and buy a good set of springs and shocks as your first mod. Springs and shocks will make a huge difference in the way the car feels to drive and how it looks, once you drive a lowered car you'll never want to drive one with stock suspension. After that I'd do a short shifter, then strut bars then I/H/E. Just my $0.02

Old 01-03-2008, 09:30 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: TheInternet

I live in artic tundra
snow tires and rally lights!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs

I live in artic tundra
snow tires and rally lights!
LOL...III get a push-bar thing and some Hellas......seriously, snow tires are next year for sure ! Im not looking forward to spending $800 on snow tires and steelies[:@], but I think its a must have...in fact in the provence of Quebec (Canada) its going to be mandatory starting next year...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
HCF Member

lowering springs/struts, 16" or 17" wheels (i think 7th gens look legit with 17"s), then if you dont wanna go too intense with some sort of build/boost, I/H/E and it'll be fun yes strut bars make a difference in handling (for the better of course), and sway bars do even more (but expect to pay a bit more too)

Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
mxs
HCF Member

LOL...III get a push-bar thing and some Hellas...

Hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

Seriously, what's the weather / roads / driving conditions like up there anyway?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
HCF Member

^ to add to what MXS just said, driving a lowered Civic in a place that gets lots of snow (Upper Michigan for me), its not easy. Doable, but not easy, so take that into account. Coilovers might be a good idea if you want to make it a monster truck in the winter and slam it in the summer

Quick Reply: Advice please on first mod...