General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

advise needed..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
HCF Member
Default advise needed..

Hey guys I have a 98 dx. The body of the car has a few dents, and alot of dings and scratches, mostly on the front and rear bumpers. When the sun shines on my car, i think it looks like a$$. Well the engine has piston slap in the morning, it burns oil like thats its job and the valves tick like crazy (even after i've adjusted them many times). Well my dream car is a boosted civic. So heres my question. Should I fix all the dents and scratches (would need new front and rear bumper cause they're not repairable) and get it the way i want it, then install a low mileage used d16y8 sohc vtec engine, and then piece together a turbo kit??? Is all that time and money worth it or should I just sell it now and buy a civic in good shape and boost that??

Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: advise needed..

F**k yeah that work would be worth it. If you don't mind getting oem-style bumpers (new bumpers from honda would cost a pretty penny), the front and rear bumper will be somewhere around $150 each (unless you get crappy fiberglass ebay ones).

As far as the y8, I'd say start looking around in the traders guides and the local craigslist... I'm not sure about y8's, but you can find z6's around here for $300 all day.

So let's say you buy the new bumpers and find a y8 for $500... so far you've spent $800, and you now have a civic with a few less dings and dents that runs like a dream. Well, if you piece together a turbo kit, you're looking at $1500-$2000 on average for the essentials... so let's say you don't find the best deals and spend $2000 for the turbo.

Now we're talking just under $3,000 for a boosted civic with a decent body. Granted, you'd probably want it painted (personally, I'd rattle-can the bumpers to a close match and call it good, but that's me), but most eg's and ek's on the road are a little worse for wear anyway. I dare you to find a boosted civic in decent shape for around $3,000

So ask yourself, is it worth it?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: advise needed..

You know now that i think of it, it would be worth it. Cause a civic in good shape is gonna run me at least $5500 around here. Plus I like the sleeper look. I think it looks bad *** when a dude rolls up in an everyday car and then pops the hood and the people are like "OH $HIT!!" haha yea i think i'll do it that. Theres these ricers in my neighborhood that have civics that look like 10 second cars, but you open the hood it looks like a ****tey, rusty, greasy valve cover with some wires. This one kid swore to me his welded on apexi muffler gave him a 1 second faster time in the 1/4 mile. haha