General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Air Condition Compressor Problems

Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Default Air Condition Compressor Problems

Hello all,

This is a frustrating Civic owners day here in Ohio.

I have a 2003 Civic, purchased new and ALL scheduled routine maintenence done at Honda dealers. Well it is in the shop with a diagnosis of "very weak a/c compressor", or a $ 1500.00 cure. The aggrevating thing is this is our 2nd Civic with the EXACT same problem. The first was as above, purchased new and cared for and the compressor blew up. Now again the same issue!! We live in Ohio, not Phoenix !! We are thirty something adults, no teenagers using this car.

Has anyone else had or heard of this being a Civic problem? Or do any of you out there know of a quirk that we might be doing to cause this?

Of course it is out of warranty with 75K on it. We have started the complaint process with Honda, not hoping for much, but trying anything.

Any assistance would be appreciated, but Honda is quickly falling out of favor with us.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Air Condition Compressor Problems

The reason i found this forum is looking forsomething similar, mine is a 95 and my AC is just not getting cold in the summer !!!!

Its driving me crazy b/c i figured it just needed freon but it didnt change a thing !!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Default RE: Air Condition Compressor Problems

Not knowledgable on Civics but suppose Honda compressors are same on most models.
Our '03 CRV is on its third compressor. Supose to be a new design now.
First one went out while still under warantee. Second one went out about a year out of warantee.
It wasn't just the compressor that had to be replaced. When it goes out, they said it can scatter particles of metal in other components. I'm told it was about a $2,000 replacement job.
Honda picked up the entire tab on the repairs, even a year out of warantee. They said it was their good will warantee. Of course they are fully aware that the compressors are faulty.
Hopefully the new design will last.
I will say that I'm about to start shopping for a Civic coupe for a work car, and Honda standing up and taking care of my CRV after warantee is one of the reasons that I'm headed for my second Honda.