General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Air/fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Default Air/fuel

I have a couple questions I need someone who knows what they are talking about to answer.

Okay so #1 Bigger injectors on a stock intake manifold? Would it help on my b18c1? I'm COMPLETELY new to the whole fuel thing up until now all I have been
doing are small bolt ons with the occasional online research to learn new things
I need to have someone to explain the whole situation.

which brings me to #2 if the bigger injectors on a stock manifold don't work how about on a port matched 70mm throttle body and intake manifold from skunk2? Also would the ecu automatically adjust or would manual tuning be needed? I'm asking all of this to better learn about the who fuel/air deal I want to learn more and I figured getting info from the tuners is the best way please help me better understand the situation. (I know how an engine works im very well educated on that I just want to know if changing those thigns would be wise.) Please help.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 AM

#1. No. Fuel is something you add in when you have more air being shoved into the motor. No extra air, no extra power. You need tuning when you change injector sizes. DO NOT put in different sized injectors without ECU changes.

#2. I actually just posted something about this on Honda-tech.com recently. Here it goes (about the bigger TB):

You need X amount of air, why are you making your set-up capable of bringing XXX air in?

Think of water going through a hose... now take that same amount of water and run it through a much bigger hose. The velocity is much less. I had a 68mm TB and Sk2 IM on my set-up (with a crower stage 2 cam) and throttle response was terrible. Shifted my power band all the way up to like 5.5k and above.

Yes, the larger TB will create more power... but at what RPM? No sense in making extra power in a DD when the actual "gain" in power begins at 6k, and where you are technically loosing power up until then.

Power gains from simple bolt ons are not enough to require bigger injectors. Hell, I was technically safe to run 7 lbs of boost from my JRSC with my stock injectors according to my ECU.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks A LOT man, that really helped me from doing something stupid.

So my question now is where do I get power that is actually worth getting from? I already have my whole exhaust system done, and I don't have the big money to boost it.. Any advice?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Boost or swap. D series do not make much power without boosting.

Otherwise, just start saving for suspension and make the car look clean.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM

It is a swap it's a b18c1 hatch. I'll never go D series again haha.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 AM
HCF Member

high compression or spray or alternative fuels are the other options for low displacement high output engines.
you're going to spend the money one way or another. either rock the boltons and well... yea. or spend some time doing some research on what you want so you spend the big buck one time.
(dont forget about shorter gears! throwing some civic si gears in your trans will make it feel like a new beast, but your going to sacrafice mpgs because your rpms will be MUCH higher on the freeway. torque multiplication dude!)

but theres no replacement for displacement except technology, so look into doing a smart, fun build that will teach you what you need to know to create horsepower.

xD
HAVE FUN AND LEARN LOTS!!!
~newb

Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
...I actually just posted something about this on Honda-tech.com recently...
What?? You're cheating on us? I thought we had something special here.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianL
What?? You're cheating on us? I thought we had something special here.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
This is where I LIVE! I might go and visit friends from time to time though