General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

am i the only one who didnt know this???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
HCF Member
Default am i the only one who didnt know this???

my friend has a 92 civic ex, with a tuo to manual conversion, i didnt know that to start the car u didnt have to push the clutch down, jus thought i would share that lol

Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: am i the only one who didnt know this???

Well they didn't do the swap right then...and messed something up

Old 05-23-2007, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

they didn't install the sensor correctly then, it's basically a security measure to protect the tranny

Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

really ... ouchhhhhh, he bought it from a dealer also

Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

On a car that old, it may not have a starter interrupt on the clutch. Most older cars could be started with the clutch engaged, and this is actually a valued ability in some offroad vehicles when rock-crawling. Lawsuits (and fear of lawsuits) have led to manufacturers puttingstarter interrupts in newer vehicles so people don't absent-mindedly start their car in gear and plow through their garage wall.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

umm...im not saying your wrong..but on your bit about rock crawlers liking the fact they can start up in gear....i come from a family thats very deep in off-roading..not much crawling, cuz well...ohio has no rocks..lol but really there isnt an advantage to being able to start without pushing the clutch. you still stall if you dont give it gas when you let out....(as far as off-roading goes)

however, it is kinda convenient to have that not hooked up if you want a remote start, (most remote starts wont work in manuals) but you would have to remember to park in neutral, with the ebrake on of course

also, thats kinda sad that the dealer didnt install the sensor right...and yes, the EG's do have those sensors.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kommando

On a car that old, it may not have a starter interrupt on the clutch. Most older cars could be started with the clutch engaged, and this is actually a valued ability in some offroad vehicles when rock-crawling. Lawsuits (and fear of lawsuits) have led to manufacturers puttingstarter interrupts in newer vehicles so people don't absent-mindedly start their car in gear and plow through their garage wall.

LMAOOOOO that reminds me when i was at the mall a few weeks ago .. some chick in a mustang a pretty nice one too started her car and somehow her car yanked forward and smash the wall this was on the top floor of the parking garage to she played it off like nothing happen to haha and drove to a lower floor to check it out hahahahqha

Old 05-24-2007, 04:16 AM

i dunno if there's anything special about conversions, but every manual i've ever driven requires the clutch to be pushed in to start, even my civic right now :-\

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Shodan_Endeavor

i dunno if there's anything special about conversions, but every manual i've ever driven requires the clutch to be pushed in to start, even my civic right now :-\
Hehe...You youngsters. 'Used to be...manuals didn't even have synchros. Although that's a little before MY time even. Up until the '97 came out, Jeep Wranglers could be started in gear. The TJs(and many other modern 4x4s), even still, have a clutch interlock that can be"defeated".

Even the stock starter produces enough torque to start my YJin 1st gear/low-range...and run. I haven't tried it in other gears, but the Jeep will idle right away from where it was, without any gas.One guy in my old jeep club hada 4:1 tcase, a 6:1 1st gear, and 4.88 R&P gears turning 35" tires. He could actually point his Jeep up a hill and hop out, walking uphill faster than his Jeep would idle up it. The 5spd manual5tons the military used would start in gear too. I saw several people get hit by them when some knucklehead would start one in gear.

Starting in gear when rock-crawling is an advantage when you're off-camber, steeply uphill, steeply downhill, or some other place where using the brakes to hold you in a sticky position while you depress the clutch wouldn't be wise. The brakes may not have as much holding power as the engine, especially if they're wet or hot. If you start rolling, especially backwards, you may not be able to stop/slow without sliding and/or flipping.

Here's a little example to try. Try starting off on a steep hill without rolling back even an inch. Now double the steepness (in your mind)and ask yourself if you would want to count on that parking brake at just 2 wheels to hold you.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

however, it is kinda convenient to have that not hooked up if you want a remote start, (most remote starts wont work in manuals) but you would have to remember to park in neutral, with the ebrake on of course
You'd have to bypass the clutch to put a remote start in a manual, and a lot of garages won't do that for you.

Quick Reply: am i the only one who didnt know this???