General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Any one think this also

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Any one think this also

Yes, it might just be me, or us, but I have to say, a big shiny metal 2 foot wing on a hatch looks like schit, total schit. There is a guy in my hometown that rides around like that, I just want to stop him and say, dude.. why.

I don't even like the wings on normal cars, unless it fits a body kit perfectly, and is like 6" or less from the trunk. And that being said, It had better be abs or otherwise, not alluminium.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

wings are functional on rear AND front wheel drive vehicles, depending on the wing, and the surface area, as well as the angle. wings/spoilers are functional for highway driving where speeds reach approx. 60-70 mph. it might not give the functionality of downforce like most people think, but it does increase the stability of the rear of the car, plus it also redirects the air to reduce the turbulance created by the rear of many cars designs, therefore reducing wind drag in someplaces while giving just a small amount of drag, depending on the angle, SA, etc. To get the kind of effect most people want, it's just not practical to purchase a wing for downforce purposes on an average street car.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

wings are functional on rear AND front wheel drive vehicles, depending on the wing, and the surface area, as well as the angle. wings/spoilers are functional for highway driving where speeds reach approx. 60-70 mph. it might not give the functionality of downforce like most people think, but it does increase the stability of the rear of the car, plus it also redirects the air to reduce the turbulance created by the rear of many cars designs, therefore reducing wind drag in someplaces while giving just a small amount of drag, depending on the angle, SA, etc. To get the kind of effect most people want, it's just not practical to purchase a wing for downforce purposes on an average street car.
+1

theres a kid where I live with a horribly riced out 5th-gen civic... body kit (that isn't the bad part), silver vinyl (still not terrible), 19" custom-made chrome spinners with flames for spokes (*vomits*), and a 14" high or so double-deck gt wing. From what I've heard, at about 140 mph, you can feel the car suck down a little. I've gotta say, the civ does look pretty cool, even with the 19" wheels and wing... I don't know how he drives it around here... it sits all of like 1.5" off the ground lol

Oh, by the way... I don't mean to offend anybody who likes 19" chrome flame spinners and huge double-deck aluminum wings... they just aren't my cup of tea.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 PM

wing wont do very much or do anything at all under 100mph, esp if ur just going in a straight line in a heavy street car. like chigga said, it can be functional on certain cars such as rally cars because they need all the downforce they can get to keep contact with the ground. other cars such as GT cars or even just "normal" street carsroad racing gain advantages from one because their so light. u might want the help of some down force when taking a hairpin turn at 60+mph in a 2k lbs or less car.

daily driving and not going 150mph=no real need for a wing

race car= depending on the kind of racing and the aerodynamics of the car, would highly take into consideration