General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

AUTO VS. MANUAL

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 02:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: AUTO VS. MANUAL

I dred having an auto. I got the car for a good price so I couldn't pass it up. But now, I really wish I had a five speed. I really want one, and if I had the money, I would definetily do a swap. In cars meant for speed, manuals are ALWAYS better, unless you're like in a dragster or somethin but thats a different story.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:19 AM

LOL YES! I love my 5 speed! When I was looking for cars, I was like, if it's not a manual, I don't want it, I don't care how cheap it is. Lucky for me the first extremely good deal I came across was a manual so I jumped on it. Before this I had a Chevy S10 auto. lol I did the auto shift thing in that too! It was funny, because it had the shifter on the steering column. I would just reach back there and pull the little lever up to shift gears lol.

In my car, of course the cup holders just happen to be broken! Well try braking, downshifting, clutching, steering, talking on the phone, and holding a cup o' Java! Lol it's HARD! The first time I actually spilled the latte all over my floor mat and to this day after shampooing it it still smells like NASTY MILK!!! I got some new floor mats after that lol. My cousin was driving her manual car with a fudge popcicle and went to steer and smeared it all over the windshield! This morning instead of holding the drinks, I put the two cups of coffee in a cooking pan and set them on the floor so they woudln't tip out. Hey, it works!

Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

Manual by far! Better gas mileage, cheaper, and simply funner to drive.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:16 PM

There ya go...

Old 01-22-2005, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

. And by the way, it's all about the 4 speed transmission.
Care to elaborate on that? I have a manual four speed in my 91 hatch, and am making plans for swaps, so I'd appreciate the info. Are they a worthwhile choice?

Old 01-22-2005, 11:12 PM

a manual is fun but i prefer an auto cause after several drinks its much easier to get home in 1 piece

Old 01-22-2005, 11:31 PM
HCF Member

yeah, or take a cab.

but four speed mannys suck. the gears are longer and farther apart. and worse gas mileage. stay away.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:42 AM

You drink and drive, but you bitch at kids for street racing... doesn't anyone else see the hypocrisy???

Old 01-23-2005, 12:46 AM
HCF Member

seriously.

Old 01-25-2005, 05:43 AM

I like manuel over auto for a lot of reasons, one being I am the driver, so I know when I am about to shut off so I can control whether or not I downshift. My friends atx accord is annoying for this kind of reason. But also, the auto is really a power kkiller, one thing is the longer gears, meaning there is less tq for a longer time, and the tq converter hasn't been advanced enough to wheel all the power, so you loose some there too. I guess if you aren't performance/fun minded and just want to get from point A to point B, then auto is ok, but as Jessie James says "The car is the point". So IMHO manuel is far better, just for the control and fun of driving. My drive to school everyday is one of the breaks of my day, and when I have to drive moms camry, I must say it is not very exciting lol.

Quick Reply: AUTO VS. MANUAL